Review by Deadoc1996 -- The Hand Bringer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Deadoc1996
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deadoc1996.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Review by Deadoc1996 -- The Hand Bringer

Post by Deadoc1996 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Hand Bringer" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Lexington

What would you do if everything you believed to be mythical comes to life? Be it fairies, elves, giants, vampires, werewolves and many others. Our emotions would range from fear to joy depending on which creatures would come to life as not all of them are dangerous as some of the others are not so friendly. To be specific, what would you do if ever run into a bloodsucking monster. That would be the scare of my life so as to speak from my own perspective.

The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington is a science fiction novel that follows the life of Peter Hadrian, a police officer, who travels back in time to stop what could end up being a vampire apocalypse. But before he travels back he is genetically engineered to become the most ruthless vampire killer with strengths beyond human comprehension. He is supposed to go back and destroy the source of vampirism who happens to be Vlad Dracula who is back in medieval times in what is supposed to be present in Romania. But through this all Peter has his doubts about Vlad believing there is somebody else with a hidden agenda among the people he is to travel with. Will Peter be able to destroy the source of vampires and are his insecurities about his group justified? If so who is this person with the hidden agenda?

The novel starts with Peter on patrol when he gets an emergency call and he is among the first officers to respond to the call. But when he gets to the site, he finds his fellow officers killed and when he finds the perpetrator, he notices nonhuman characters before he is attacked and before he is bitten, he is called the "hand bringer" but luckily he manages to kill his attacker. He wakes up later in an unknown location where he is told that he was attacked by a vampire but he was lucky enough not to be infected. Here he is briefed on how they saved his life and he is asked to assist the ASA, a secret government organization, to destroy the source of vampires.

What I liked most about the novel is how much action-packed it is and the description is so clear that it's so easy to create a clear picture of the action. The author takes his time to describe the actions which end up making you feel like you are watching it on screen. Another thing that I liked is how the author develops his characters. The characters are not cramped thus it's pretty easy to recall which character did what and who did not do that. This gives the characters to individually appreciated by the reader. Apart from a single spelling mistake, the book was well edited prompting me to rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

If you are a science fiction fan with a little bit of romance, this is the book for you. It's also action-packed from the beginning to the end. If you prefer nonfiction books, this novel is not recommended for you. I would not mind another book from the author.

The Hand Bringer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”