Official Review: Myth Desire Truth by Steve schoby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 34
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Re-start the world by Kenneth J. Hayes
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Myth Desire Truth by Steve schoby

Post by T_stone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Myth Desire Truth" by Steve schoby.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Myth Desire Truth by Steve Schoby, is a fantasy story that follows a collector of antiques, George Rayson, and his obsession with the rarest pieces of antique, rumored to be more ancient than any artifact that has ever surfaced. George’s interest in precious artifacts resulted from his early childhood days. He was raised in a wealthy family with little or no friends; the artifacts his parents had when he was a child held most of his memories. He soon finds out about an ancient idol statue to add to his collection of artifacts.

George reaches out to his personal antique hunter, Peter Durban, to help him get the idol statue (the statue of desire). Peter hunts anything anyone can imagine, from historic works of art to missing people and computer chips; Peter is the best at what he does. He returns to George with a box holding the idol statue, which comes with a warning: “never to be worshiped or coveted or it will live.” George impatiently leads Peter out to have privacy with the statue. The unboxing of the statue takes an abrupt turn when George starts feeling sick following a stabbing pain in his stomach. He couldn’t see, he couldn’t speak; neither could he move till he was dead.

George’s maid, Joyce, finds his body some days later. She informs the Police about the ill-fate that befell George. Two detectives, Frank Anco and Pedro Hernandez, are the officers assigned to investigate the mysterious demise of George. Will they unravel the truth surrounding George's mysterious death?

The only encouraging thing I appreciate about this book is its well-driven plot and suspense. I was eager to know how the detectives went about collecting clues and information concerning the statue, which was the last artifact George purchased before his death. There were many things I disliked about this book; it wasn’t vivid in imaginations. Although this book is short, it’s slow-paced. I didn’t flow with the book till I was halfway through it.

The narratives kept switching from the first person to the third person. This made flowing with the book difficult. Frequently, it was told by Frank, and at other times, it seemed like Joyce was the character narrating the story. Myth Desire Truth is more plot-driven than character-driven. Some characters had little or no impact on the story. However, each character had an in-depth introduction.

Another downside to the book is the grammatical errors and punctuation errors. There are many typographical errors in this book. After noticing the first twenty errors, I almost stopped reading the book. I had to purchase a Kindle version to compare the Word document I reviewed to the one I bought; it contained the same errors. The editing wasn’t well-done. There were many repeated misspelled words like “then” instead of “than.”

Unfortunately, this book didn’t impress me; it needs more issues to be solved. Although there’s potential strength in it, I can’t recommend it at this time. It contains a few profane words. I can only give Myth Desire Truth by Steve Schoby a 1 out of 4 stars rating for now.

Myth Desire Truth
View: on Bookshelves
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Dream Prophecy by Known as Lise

Post by kandscreeley »

The story is very intriguing, but it sounds like it needs work. The switching perspectives, the errors... They would pull me from the book. I think I'll pass. I hope your next one is better.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Sydney Nyamasoka
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 68
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-nyamasoka.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Sydney Nyamasoka »

Thanks for the informative review. It seems that the book is still some (work-in-progress). The mystery sounds interesting and also seems to be the core theme underlying the narrative.
Search for, and find, real meaning in life and live purposefully.

IfeomaD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeomad.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by IfeomaD »

Sorry about the grammatical and typographical errors. Thanks for the review. I also find it hard to finish a book with so many errors in it. This book obviously needs a lot of work and the author needs to rewrite. I hope the author puts your corrections to heart.
We will have our ups and downs, regardless of who we are. When we fall, we peel ourselves off the asphalt and get back up. If we need to cry, then we cry. And when we’re ready, we get back up and move forward again.

Richard L. Haight

MsH2k
Favorite Book: The Oracle
Currently Reading: More Than a Dog’s Tale
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Periodic Table of Character Traits by Michael Lawson

Post by MsH2k »

Now I want to know if that statue had a part in George’s death! I think I’ll wait awhile for the issues to be corrected, though. Thanks for a great review.

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Father Divine's Bikes by Steve Bassett

Post by rumik »

Seems like this book has a lot of room for improvement, I guess I won't be checking this one out. Thanks for the great review though!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”