Official Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Seeds in the Concrete by L Joevon aka 8rooklyn 8atman

Official Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1" by Brian L. Harad.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine being abducted by aliens when you are 55 years old. Your human family was a fake one, and you are the sole heir of an extraterrestrial queen who has come to fetch you back. Now the worst part: your wife and the government were aware of it all. This odd situation happens to the protagonist of Homecoming: The Unari Experiment, the first book of a sci-fi series written by Brian Harad.

After the late 2020s, the world is, at last, a peaceful place. In the US, the first Muslim president is briefing his successor about alien species. The government has been aware of them since the 1940s, and they often make contact. This time, Emperor Nojakuu of the Thunerian Alliance arranges a meeting at Camp David. President Drummond and his staff meet with Captain Utari of the Thunerian Destroyer Andromeda, his first officer, and Queen Jata of the Unari. She, her sister, and Sarraqa are the last of their species. The only male is Queen Jata’s son, Byron Hollington, who is alive on Earth, unknowingly disguised as a human. The aliens are here to extract him.

The extraction takes place at a Wal-Mart, and soon Byron is taking off aboard the Andromeda. The protagonist, who henceforth is to be called Thundercloud, undergoes a procedure to activate his Unari DNA and unpack his authentic form. He gets strapped to a medical bed until he accepts his fate, but no spoilers are allowed!

The author does a convincing job of portraying daily life aboard an alien spaceship. Harad’s writing style is clear, and a lot of the action unfolds through well-crafted dialogue. Byron’s voice is credible, and he appears realistically distraught. The protagonist’s difficult adaptation to his new identity, which includes a unicorn-like body and impressive powers, constitutes the center of this gripping story. There is a plethora of detail throughout the book – passages with vivid descriptions of the aliens and their advanced technology. Their physical traits and powers get well portrayed by the author, and the illustrations also add to the worldbuilding.

Additionally, well-woven subplots unfold alongside the narrative of Byron’s transformation into Thundercloud. Captain Utari (who runs the Andromeda), Krysheena (the leader of a highly trained group known as the Chosen Protectorate), and Captain Flecha (who oversees the personal guard of Queen Jata’s sister) are well-developed secondary characters.

With a little more than 200 pages, this book is a fast and enjoyable read; it has no negatives worth mentioning. I give it 4 out of 4 stars. Homecoming has all the elements of a great sci-fi plot, and I look forward to the sequel. It seems professionally edited, for I only found three minor mishaps. I highly recommend it to sci-fi fans. Although there is no sexual content, there’s abundant use of profanity, which the author uses skillfully. Without it, though, I believe the book could target a wider audience and appeal to teenagers as well.

Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
CnderAngel
Favorite Author: Janet McNulty
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnderangel.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
fav_author_id: 15021

Post by CnderAngel »

This book sounds really interesting, I will definitely give it a try, thanks for the awesome review! :) Very well written and explained very well.

Also I love aliens and extraterrestrials all in general, this book sounds awesome! Also by the cover, are they like pegasus? If so, that is awesome!
Cartoonist artist and animator, game designer, comic creator and most of all a writer.
If you are interested in my work, feel free to PM me. c: :tiphat:
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Ever_Reading
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Stand Up! For Yourself by Jennie Msangi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading »

mmm17 wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 14:18 Imagine being abducted by aliens when you are 55 years old. Your human family was a fake one, and you are the sole heir of an extraterrestrial queen who has come to fetch you back. Now the worst part: your wife and the government were aware of it all. This odd situation happens to the protagonist of Homecoming: The Unari Experiment, the first book of a sci-fi series written by Brian Harad.
This alone has me hooked. I'm a sci-fi fan and I might just add this to my TBR list. Great review!
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

CnderAngel wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 00:56 This book sounds really interesting, I will definitely give it a try, thanks for the awesome review! :) Very well written and explained very well.

Also I love aliens and extraterrestrials all in general, this book sounds awesome! Also by the cover, are they like pegasus? If so, that is awesome!
Yep. They are like pegasus. Thank you for commenting!
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Ever_Reading wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 03:02
mmm17 wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 14:18 Imagine being abducted by aliens when you are 55 years old. Your human family was a fake one, and you are the sole heir of an extraterrestrial queen who has come to fetch you back. Now the worst part: your wife and the government were aware of it all. This odd situation happens to the protagonist of Homecoming: The Unari Experiment, the first book of a sci-fi series written by Brian Harad.
This alone has me hooked. I'm a sci-fi fan and I might just add this to my TBR list. Great review!
Then I'm sure you might enjoy this book. Thank you for your comments!
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

The unicorn on the cover is what caught my eye. Aliens being involved was the last thing I thought about when I saw it. Still though, it sounds like a really good book. I'll have to read it. Nice review.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes
Julius_
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

That's actually very odd! I'm very curious how he survived in the alien world. This is an awesome review!
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I'm not into books about aliens , so I am going to pass. Great review.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 70
Currently Reading: Prevent Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Ehndale's Defeat by DA Cassidy

Post by Kibetious »

Sounds like a great and enthralling read. I wonder why he had to be brought to Earth in the first place. Were there threats against his life back then or what really happened? Thanks for the informative review. It left me wanting to read the book.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:
Ferdinand_otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_otieno »

This is an intriguing science fiction thriller novel on Alien life, first contact, realizing the truth, and becoming an Unari for an interesting protagonist. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookclub review. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats @haradbl on the BOTD.
Chipochashe
2021 Reading Goal: 21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Christian Divorce Wars by Dr. Sharon Smith

Post by Chipochashe »

Interesting plot. I wonder how his wife became privy to this hidden identity. Thank you for the review. The profanity would take away my enjoyment though.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Readerjorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerjorge.html
Latest Review: The Secrets of Gabriel in the council of the Gods by Zents K Sowunmi

Post by Readerjorge »

A science fiction book, where a man is kidnapped by aliens when he is 55 years old. He learns that he is the sole heir to an alien queen and his wife and the government knew it all. It seems to have good elements of a great plot. It looks interesting.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by slj3988 »

Wow. Even when I saw the unicorn on the cover, I wasn't prepared for a unicorn alien.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

This story sounds very unique! The cover immediately reminded me of Animorphs for some reason.
I love the idea that the protagonist is a middle-aged man.
Odette Chace
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Odette Chace »

It's interesting that as a reader I am more likely to swallow the premise involving aliens than the political situation on earth. World peace and a Muslim president by the late 2020s? I don't think that is going to happen. Perhaps they should have leapt a bit further forward in time.

Regardless, the plot has my attention. I would love to read about an alien abduction taking place in the middle of Wal-Mart.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”