Percy Jackson: The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Crimsonsky 749
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Currently Reading: Artemis fowl
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crimsonsky-749.html
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
fav_author_id: 4299

Re: Percy Jackson: The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan

Post by Crimsonsky 749 »

I love the series and the sequel series The Heroes of Olympus. I love the humor in this book and the way it turns a horrible, dark situation into a light humorus one just by Percy saying something stupid. I also love the names of the chapters and how the beginning is like a warning. This book definitely deserves all the awards it has earned. All around great plot, well thought out, lots of conspiracy and there was very few grammer mistakes. So definitely a great book and if you haven't read it yet you should, you won't be wasting your time, trust me.
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
AliceN_W
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AliceN_W »

I really enjoyed the series. It was very compelling and had a very interesting storyline. I did not enjoy the movie though, because I feel that it did not do the book justice. There were certain important parts in the book that did not occur in the movie, and I don't think the movie benefited from doing so. Otherwise, I believe that the book series, although it was long, was enjoyable and is worth the read.
lourdesinwonderland
Currently Reading: The Dark Half
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lourdesinwonderland.html

Post by lourdesinwonderland »

I loved the Percy Jackson series, and after I read them I've started getting more and more interested in greek mythology. Then I found out about the Heroes of Olympus and I loved them even more! Most of the PJ fans like Percy's novels better but I like the different perspectives offered in Heroes of Olympus. Thanks to Riordan now I'm a Roman-Greek junkie! :D
comebackmandy
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comebackmandy.html

Post by comebackmandy »

I just started this book, I'm on page 155. I'm finding it really hard to get into for some reason. I just got done reading the Harry Potter series so I hope that's not what is making this hard for me. I'm not giving up just yet. I do plan on finishing the book but hopefully it gets better for me so I can read the rest of the series.
RooneysReviews
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rooneysreviews.html
Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes

Post by RooneysReviews »

Rick Riordan does a wonderful job in "The Lightening Thief" and every other book I've read from him. His humor is PG, or at times PG-13, but there's never a question that any age child/adult could read his books. Percy is a strong character, but Riordan doesn't shy away from strengthening his female characters as well, which readers see in Annabeth. The result is a curiously funny and subtly educational series. Admittedly, I was reading these while taking a college mythology class and these novels were extremely helpful in remembering which gods and goddesses did certain things. If someone is looking for a laugh and strong plot, Percy Jackson: The Lightening Thief, is a great place to turn.
Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes
L_Franz
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by L_Franz »

The Percy Jackson books are my favorite books ever! Each book had so many adventures. The character develope and you fall in love with them. And the comic releifs are so funny.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

These are really good books with a lot of humor. I love how Rick Riordan is able to tie mythology into the modern world.

I got into the series when the first lightening thief previews came out. He also has a series based on the Egyptian pantheon.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

Nice review. I really loved this series and Rick Riordan's spinoff series Heroes of Olympus. Riordan's writes the mythology very well.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
Dphaber
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphaber.html
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta

Post by Dphaber »

I just recently finished Heroes of Olympus, and I'm really glad that Riordan decided to continue with a second series after Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Really enjoy these books.
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta
kderse
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kderse.html

Post by kderse »

In the book “Wonder” we met a boy named Auggie: a normal boy with a different face, whose first year at school changed his life and the people around him. In this book Auggie and me by R.J. Palacio we read three new stories by three different characters. Julian the bully, Auggie’s oldest friend Christopher and his classmate Charlotte. These new stories show us how Auggie touched the lives of these three characters. They are thought provoking, surprising, infuriating, heartbreaking and heartwarming. This is a must read for anyone that enjoyed the book Wonder.

I recommend this book for anyone who read the book “Wonder.”

To see my thoughts on the first part of this book you can see my review when I originally read that one by itself, before I knew this book existed. http://keepcalmandreadabook.com/2015/11 ... n-chapter/

These stories are nice to see and hear from other students point of view. I did not think it was as wonderful as “Wonder” was. I still enjoyed them in a different way. To be honest Julian was the only one I was curious about when seeing these existed. I really couldn’t remember who the other two characters were. If you did not like “Wonder” you probably shouldn’t read these. If you are looking for a sequel to “Wonder” this isn’t one and the author says there won’t be one.

If you have a child getting ready for middle school or maybe even high school I recommend “Wonder” and maybe even this book after that. It is full of life lessons that we all need to learn especially before the middle school years.

Pluto: It was interesting to hear about Christopher he isn’t mentioned very much in Wonder but Auggie affected his life as well. I know Christopher has been through some very difficult things but he tends to be a brat. He doesn’t respect his mom at all. We see him go through some things in this book and he learns and tries to become better.

Shingaling: This was the least exciting for me. The only girl one but I think it is very important for girls to read this. Most girls want to be liked and sometimes that motivates us to do bad things. Charlotte seems to have the least to do with Auggie, you can almost feel like this is a different book altogether. I found myself bored with her story, that probably being because I hate girl drama.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars.
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

I love the greek gods. It's an interesting tail of Posidens son. I got upset when Posiden had a second son. I liked when Percy was the only son. I really like Luke and I got upset how the first book ended. I do love how Rick Riordan wrote these books for his dyslexic and adhd son because he was studying greek mythology in grade 2.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I loved the Percy Jackson series just like i loved all of Rick Riordan's other books. To all Percy Jackson fans i recommend you also read The Kane Chronicles by the same author as well (if you have not read The Heroes Of Olympus).
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
MaggieL
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MaggieL »

This has been one of my favorite books since it came out and I would honestly recomend it to any age group. Based on Greek mythology, it's about a young boy named Percy Jackson who discovers a world he never knew existed. Clichè, I know, yet Riordan never fails to impress with his unfailing humor and ability to keep the reader begging for more- even long after the end.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I absolutely love this series! Just completed it! The Lightning Thief was my favorite out of all five books but I love the ending to the entire series. There wasn't anything that was left for the reader to figure out which I appreciate. Great read, especially since I love mythology. I am planning on starting on Rick Riordan's Roman series next.
EmersonRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nkheart</a>
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emersonrose.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmersonRose »

I love every book I have read thus far from Rick Riordan. His characters are loveable and his versions of the myths entertaining. The lightning thief series is extra special to me because I felt like I grew up with Percy, Grover and Annabeth. I began reading these books at fourteen and quickly caught up and with the Heros of Olympus books I got to keep growing with them.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”