Percy Jackson: The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ladylioness
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Wheel of Time book 4
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladylioness.html
Latest Review: "HOW TO KNOCK A BRAVEBIRD FROM HER PERCH" by D. BRYANT SIMMONS
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: Percy Jackson: The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan

Post by ladylioness »

The beginning of a delightful series I found highly imaginative and was a great refresher course for all the greek mythology I used to love studying in grade school. The movie was almost nothing like the book by leaving important characters out and it basically just used the general idea of the book.
Latest Review: "HOW TO KNOCK A BRAVEBIRD FROM HER PERCH" by D. BRYANT SIMMONS
NicolleRoberts
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolleroberts.html

Post by NicolleRoberts »

I thought these were excellent and also introduced kids to mythology as well as being a good read
Anxious Educator
Favorite Author: James Herriot
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxious-educator.html
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
fav_author_id: 10107

Post by Anxious Educator »

I definitely don't think the series is a ripoff of Harry Potter, but I did see some similarities: 2 boys and 1 girl set off on adventures to ultimately fight the Bad Guy, Percy realizes he's a wizard...er...demigod, the whole prophecy thing... Did anyone find other similarities? At least for me, the similarities weren't bothersome because each series is so fundamentally different.
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
SNOangel99

Post by SNOangel99 »

My favorite book! The lighting thief depicts young percy jacksons journey to finding out who he is and his quest to clear the reputation he's somehow managed to obtain. This book is (written from Percy's point of view) is descriptive without spending to much time on one subject and had wonderful battle scenes that while exciting didn't go on too long. All together "The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan" is one of the best modern greek mythology books I've read in a while.

-- 16 Feb 2014, 17:02 --
Anxious Educator wrote:I definitely don't think the series is a ripoff of Harry Potter, but I did see some similarities: 2 boys and 1 girl set off on adventures to ultimately fight the Bad Guy, Percy realizes he's a wizard...er...demigod, the whole prophecy thing... Did anyone find other similarities? At least for me, the similarities weren't bothersome because each series is so fundamentally different.
Hmm not really. I though it was fresh and new. Plus wizards can have many powers while demigods can only have one or two.
soccerstar95
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerstar95.html
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot

Post by soccerstar95 »

1st series was good, but the 2nd one was not as good.
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot
Bailers77
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Currently Reading: The Scorch Trials
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bailers77.html
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Bailers77 »

I agree that the whole series is amazing. Its hard to believe that I have been reading them since middle school and Rick Riordan is publishing the last one this fall when I will enter my second year at college. I feel almost like I did when Harry Potter ended, like a piece of my childhood is dying. :cry:
Attempted_Eloquence

Post by Attempted_Eloquence »

I thought it was an amazing series- one of the best page-turners I've ever come across! The way in which Riordan carries out character development is sheer literary brilliance.

-- 20 Aug 2014, 06:19 --

And of course, like most popular book series, it was completely disgraced by the film -_-
T_Reed
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-reed.html

Post by T_Reed »

I love this series and this author, though I haven't been able to finish it or get more of his books
Linda7228
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Blood Weddings by Federico Garcia Lorca
Currently Reading: Heist Society
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda7228.html
Latest Review: "The Sham" by Ellen Allen
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Linda7228 »

I loved this series! The books are funny and engaging and it's a great way to introduce kids and more than one grown up to Greek mythology. I also loved the Heroes of the Olympus series for all of those that want to read more of Percy and Annabeth.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
Latest Review: "The Sham" by Ellen Allen
Karlareads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlareads.html

Post by Karlareads »

I love this series! Especially with Rick Riordan's writing and interest in different mythologies. All he's series are great!
jord7325
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jord7325.html

Post by jord7325 »

For me it was the movies that made me want to read the book.
ktfrank04
Currently Reading: Wizard and Glass - Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktfrank04.html

Post by ktfrank04 »

I honestly cannot believe this is a young reader series, the characters are young yes, but plot is pretty intense. I read the whole first and second series within a couple months, it was that good! I should add that i have always enjoyed mythology, especially after reading both the illiad and odyssey. I can't wait until the last book comes out and we find out how this big war ends. Would recommend to anyone!! Rick Riordan's is ALMOSt on par with Harry Potter, and that is saying a lot. ((:
nikilav22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikilav22.html

Post by nikilav22 »

Amazing series and an equally good spin off series. Movies are very bad though.
skyfallDancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyfalldancer.html

Post by skyfallDancer »

I liked it! I've only read this book out of the entire series though.
(I was pretty mad about how he movie was hilariously inaccurate, but what's new?)
ktfrank04
Currently Reading: Wizard and Glass - Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktfrank04.html

Post by ktfrank04 »

nikilav22 wrote:Amazing series and an equally good spin off series. Movies are very bad though.

lmao! totally agree. I mean, they are not TOTALLY bad, not as bad as twilight per se, but the actors (other than logan lerman who is wonderful) are terrible!! The contemporary "lingo" they use ruins it for me, plus they messed with some of the plot and events in a way that kind of ruined the true storyline.

-- 19 Sep 2014, 10:55 --
skyfallDancer wrote:I liked it! I've only read this book out of the entire series though.
(I was pretty mad about how he movie was hilariously inaccurate, but what's new?)

you should really try and read the rest, it continually gets better!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”