Review by Wanda5452 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wanda5452
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanda5452.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Wanda5452 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Wanda5452 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I thoroughly enjoy a world filled with magic and old-timey customs, characters, and stories. This is why I was so excited when I came across We Are Voulhire – A New Arrival Under great Skies by Matthew Tysz. It draws you into a world of princes, lords, sea-farers, mages, and politics. The story and the world drew me in and held me captive throughout, weaving intricate and complete pictures of each world and character. It made each experience and encounter feel real.

Galen Bray is a young man who grew up in the war-torn realm of the Princes. Very few people escaped the poverty, death, and brokenness of this world, but Galen was favoured. An estranged uncle made it his final mission to help Galen start afresh, in Voulhire. To many, like Galen, Voulhire was the Promised Land. A land with a well-loved King that looked after his subjects like family. A land where anyone had the potential to prosper and build a future for themselves. But most importantly, Voulhire was a world far removed from the Land of the Princes where any day could be your last. But, as with any Promised Land, Voulhire also has its dark secrets; its political power-plays and the uncertainty and darkness of magic looming over its citizens. And it's against this backdrop where we meet Rowan, the man who found Galen on behalf of his uncle; King Wilhelm, the beloved King of the people; Lord Eldus, who desperately wants to see his new town move on from the atrocities of the previous ruler; and Meldorath, a powerful mage with sinister plans.

We Are Voulhire is an engaging and intriguing story, cleverly suspenseful and well presented with colourful descriptions that pull you into each scene, each personality and each scuffle. The writer did a very good job of painting a vivid picture of each character, allowing you to get to know them well enough to let them become part of your life. He masterfully described each setting, pulling you into the scenery, the emotions, and the well-placed quips and sarcasm. He created well-rounded characters and worlds.

I thoroughly enjoyed the world Matthew Tysz created, especially since it transports you back to a world where magic is possible and lords and princes decide the fate of many. The writer's effortless use of symbolism in addressing everyday issues is commendable; his easy to read writing style makes it easy to get lost in his world and allows you to enjoy the story.

I would definitely recommend We Are Voulhire and if you love the genres of Magic and Historical Kingdoms, you will enjoy this book. I give this book a 4 out of 4 because it is well-written, easy to read and offers you a well-rounded and complete world and characters.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”