Review by LeDiplomatique -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by LeDiplomatique -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by LeDiplomatique »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a great story which is mostly told from the perspective of Galen Bray, a citizen of the Lands of the Princes. The islands, where the four princes rule, have become a warzone as each of the princes of Lullabies compete to inherit their father’s throne. The lands have become havens of survival, devoid of happiness. After the demise of his great uncle, Galen travels to Voulhire, the land with a beautiful sky. He is the sole heir of his Voulhiric, great uncle’s business.

Voulhire is a happy, women-empowered society which thrives in magic and civilization. Voulhiric beliefs state that there are two parallel worlds in existence. The Cosmos is the physical, tangible world while Caromentis is the magic world, also known as the flesh of the mind. The cities of Voulhire are managed by lords. They are chosen by the Voulhire king. Riva Rohavi, the insurgents who dance as they wreak havoc, live in the underbelly of Voulhire. They seek to destroy the Voulhire dynasty. They are controlled by some power-hungry characters in the dynasty administration.

This storyline could make a great Disney movie. I love the beginning and the well-told stories within the main story. The plot is well-developed. The storyline is narrated from two perspectives. One is a general, third-person perspective and the other is the perspective of Galen Bray, who is the main character of the story.

The language of the book is descriptive and figurative. The author has a way with witty expressions, such as metaphors and interesting ironic similes. The best example is when captain Barcaedi refers to Lord Eldus’ disfigurement of the captain’s name to being as funny as a stillbirth, meaning it is not funny at all. Additionally, with the use of mere words, the author has succeeded in bringing inanimate objects to life, like the ocean that dares you to share in its freedom.

The characters are well-developed. Some have interesting attributes that will lure you to loving them. Galen is portrayed as naĂŻve, but with a promising future. Meldorath is a villain whom Voulhirians consider with awe. His reputation is capable of causing mass hysteria. However, my favorite character is Midius Maido, the bisexual competitor for the throne, who always succeeds in infuriating the king. He is Voulhire's first knight and chancellor of the Mianora. He is a drama-queen who thrives in the attention he creates.

I most loved Matthew Tysz’s brainpower in bringing nature to life because it made the storyline more enjoyable. I did not like anything least, although the ending caught me by surprise. It felt like enjoying a cup of delicious tea only to realize the cup is already empty, yet you are not satiated. The book contains one profanity but no erotic content. I came across two errors.

I will not rate the book 3 stars because it is professionally edited and the grammar is top-notch. I rate We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Fidelismutuku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fidelismutuku.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Fidelismutuku »

Congratulations gal.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Fidelismutuku wrote: ↑25 Dec 2019, 13:54 Congratulations gal.
Thanks Kasichana.
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Deacon by Thomas Fargnoli

Post by MsH2k »

Wow. This book is not my type, but your description of it made me reconsider for a moment. Great review!
"Choose your heroes wisely."
Last Words From Above (Jeremy Brown)
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

MsH2k wrote: ↑26 Dec 2019, 15:16 Wow. This book is not my type, but your description of it made me reconsider for a moment. Great review!
You may love it when you sample it. The title put me off at first, until I started reading it and I was hooked. Thanks a lot for the comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”