Official Review: The Inventor by Robert Whitaker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: Heat in the Vegas Night by Jerry Reedy

Official Review: The Inventor by Robert Whitaker

Post by prospero360 » 08 Dec 2019, 18:20

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Inventor" by Robert Whitaker.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Inventor by Robert Whitaker is a sci-fi/fantasy story that follows the world's most wanted, Rob, and his journey towards surviving the dangers that come with the label of being the world's most wanted. Why was Rob wanted by every country? He created a spaceship unlike any other. His spaceship could travel thousands of miles in minutes. His previous horrible experiences with the National Security Agency (NSA), after he created a floater that lifted heavy items around, was an eye-opener for him. So, it was no surprise that the NSA was after him once they learned about his new invention. With the help of two new friends, Traci, an electrical engineer, and her brother, Kent, Rob is forced into hiding from the NSA and everyone who wants the ship.

Picking up this book after reading the description, I expected a fast-paced, action-filled, and suspenseful story. The book lived up to my expectations in these areas, as the author wasted no time in introducing readers to Rob's situation and how dangerous it was. This set up an interesting thriller with excellent world-building to complement it. However, the book is not without a few flaws.

The first thing I liked about the book was the story's well thought out plot and the author's attempts at providing proper scientific explanations for certain events and inventions. The author also did a good job of portraying the high incidence of fake news in the real world today by showing readers the government's role in leaking false information through the media to the masses about Rob.

While the use of the first-person point of view in narrating the story will help draw readers closer to the main character, the author's focus on the plot of the story ensured that little effort was put into character development. There wasn't much to know about any of the characters in the story. A few moments when Traci's past was discussed in the book helped me understand her character better. I would have liked the author to devote some time to this area, as it would have improved readers' attachment to characters.

Furthermore, the nonexistence of chapters in the book made reading the book feel like a difficult task at times, as there was barely any space to take a moment to reflect on plot developments after scenes. However, this feature of the book was appreciated in long action scenes where I needed a continuous flow in my reading.

With respect to editing, I found quite a number of errors in The Inventor. However, I would not say that it was poorly edited, as most of the errors were minor grammatical errors, including missed commas and an instance of an omitted word. The book was an enjoyable read, but I feel like the author could have done better in a number of areas, including the poorly explored romance between Rob and Traci and the book's underwhelming end. All things considered, I rate The Inventor 2 out 4 stars. The grammatical errors and poor character development influenced my decision to settle for taking off two stars. I would recommend this book to lovers of sci-fi novels. Strong language is barely used in the story, which makes the book suitable to a younger audience.

The Inventor
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”