Official Review: The Hand Bringer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Retribution by TK Walls

Official Review: The Hand Bringer

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hand Bringer" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Peter Hadrian, a police officer, is mourning the death of his murdered wife and his missing son when he is called to a disturbance. Upon reaching the house, he finds two slain police officers and is soon attacked by a vampire. Peter kills him but not before being bitten. He and his friend Luke, a fellow police officer who showed up soon afterward, are rushed to ASA (Apocalypse Suppression Administration) headquarters. With ASA’s genetic manipulation, Peter survives the attack and is now stronger than ever. While at ASA, he encounters an imprisoned female vampire named Boriana who seems familiar. She presents him with a peculiar present and advises that he keep it with him at all times.

More and more attacks by vampires are detected around the world, and there is a fear they will soon be able to take over. Therefore, a plan is devised to send Peter and Luke, along with three others, back to Romania to 1476. This is when Count Dracula lived, and the evidence suggests that vampirism started with him. The plan is to kill Dracula and any other vampires they can find; hopefully, this will stop the present-day problem. Peter approves the plan but only if he can stop at the place and time his son disappeared and save him. They would undertake that after Dracula and the vampires have been killed. After coming to an agreement, plans are soon undertaken to send them back in time to battle this evil.

Christopher J. Penington utilizes the experiences he gained while in the military and as a police officer to write The Hand Bringer. It is a tale involving time travel, vampirism, and romance. The reader obtains an understanding of how hard life was in medieval Romania. Packed full of action, with many battle scenes and several twists, this fast-moving story is captivating until the ending. The writing is easy to comprehend, and the dialogue is believable.

The varied characters and their development are my favorite aspect of the book. Peter has the purest motives; he is courageous and risks his life on multiple occasions for the general good. Luke, his best friend, is also a fascinating character who is more interested in monetary gains than Peter. However, when the chips are down, he consistently has his friend’s back. Bat is an ex-convict with secrets. He seems less educated than the others; however, he is a remarkable fighter and a wonderful addition to the group. Enigmatic Boriana is one of my favorite characters and adds some romance to the story. Villains are also included, and the reader will come to despise Dracula especially.

An underlying theme of Christianity and the importance of faith in God is seen in the story. This is achieved in a way that I think is unoffensive. However, readers who think they might be offended need to be aware of its existence.

My least favorite aspect of the novel was the errors I encountered. Although they were not numerous or particularly distracting, there were too many for a perfect score. Therefore, The Hand Bringer achieved a score of 3 out of 4 stars as there was nothing else that I didn’t like. One more round of editing should easily take care of the errors.

I recommend this intriguing story to fans of science fiction, fantasy, historical fiction, and romance novels. Those who relish reading about battle scenes would particularly appreciate it. People who don’t enjoy reading about battles might want to look elsewhere. Profanity, torture, murder, and some sex (although not very explicit) are seen in the book. It is unsuitable for children or anyone sensitive to those issues.

The Hand Bringer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Stonecavern
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Road Map to Tomorrow by John Morgan Mullen

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Ooh, an ex-convict with secrets. I remember being curious about this one when I read the sample pages for the First Ten when it was recently BOTD. I recall the part about the gangly, pale man perched up in the corner of the room at the murder scene house! Super creepy, lol. You included a lot of additionally helpful details that I hadn’t seen previously mentioned. Thanks for the thorough review, glad it was a good story!

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: The Online Meeting Survival Guide
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: 25 Days of Roses by Mellanie Brown

Post by MsH2k »

I remember the sample pages were fast-paced and written well. This book does seem like it has it all! Thank you for a great review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 338
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Brett Humphrey

Post by kandscreeley »

Underlying theme of Christianity? In a book with vampires? Interesting. I might have to read it just for that! This one does seem to be up my alley. I'm intrigued for sure. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: O is for Oshun by Kya Johnson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I typically avoid vampire stories, but the premise of this one is interesting, and it seems like a good collection of characters. Thanks for the great review!

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Ryan's Robot by Brian Kacica

Post by Tomah »

I've seen a number of good reviews of this novel, so this could be worth looking into. The combination of vampires and time travel is certainly unusual. Thanks for the review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Payback
Bookshelf Size: 382
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Chance in a Lifetime by Jennifer Shenefield

Post by kdstrack »

I, too, am curious as to how the author portrays both vampires and Christianity in this book. Vampire stories do not interest me, but you have bitten me with this comment!!

LeDiplomatique
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Remember Radcliffe Lad Know Your Station in Life by Bernard Heys. MCMI.MWIFM.DipBs.

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I love the clarity of your review. This is a book I would read again and again if the profanity aspect was not so profound. Thanks for the insightful review.

Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

Post by Charlyt »

The medieval Romania part piqued my interest. This seems like a book i’d like despite the errors. Thanks for a great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

AvidBibliophile wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 12:12
Ooh, an ex-convict with secrets. I remember being curious about this one when I read the sample pages for the First Ten when it was recently BOTD. I recall the part about the gangly, pale man perched up in the corner of the room at the murder scene house! Super creepy, lol. You included a lot of additionally helpful details that I hadn’t seen previously mentioned. Thanks for the thorough review, glad it was a good story!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

MsH2k wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 14:37
I remember the sample pages were fast-paced and written well. This book does seem like it has it all! Thank you for a great review!
It was action packed! Thanks for the nice comments!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

kandscreeley wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 17:59
Underlying theme of Christianity? In a book with vampires? Interesting. I might have to read it just for that! This one does seem to be up my alley. I'm intrigued for sure. Thanks!
You are welcome. I hope you get a chance to read it!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

unamilagra wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 21:21
I typically avoid vampire stories, but the premise of this one is interesting, and it seems like a good collection of characters. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Tomah wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 21:17
I've seen a number of good reviews of this novel, so this could be worth looking into. The combination of vampires and time travel is certainly unusual. Thanks for the review!
I agree, it certainly is unusual! Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

kdstrack wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 22:48
I, too, am curious as to how the author portrays both vampires and Christianity in this book. Vampire stories do not interest me, but you have bitten me with this comment!!
I hope you get a chance to read it! Thanks for the comments!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”