Review by Marlaszw -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marlaszw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marlaszw.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Review by Marlaszw -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by Marlaszw »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The first installment of a fantasy series, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is not a disappointment. This book follows the journey of Galen, a young man from a war-torn country to another kingdom where he has inherited an uncle's business of blacksmithing. There are several other subplots introduced throughout the book. You meet kings and lords, witness an attack on a town and murder of its lord, and find out that there is magic in this world. And there is another world which this world is mysteriously connected to in some way.

High fantasy always requires a lot of detail to introduce the new word. This book does that in an engaging way. While this introduction is mainly setting the stage for the story to come it has an adequate amount of action and plenty of tension. The book is well-written, professionally edited (I did not find any typos or grammatical errors), and full of the imagery needed to transport you into another world. The character development is also excellent. You meet many people in this book and they all have unique personalities. For these reasons, I give the book a solid 4 out of 4 stars. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

What I liked the most in this book is the style of prose the author used. It has a sort of comforting cadence to it like you are floating on ocean waves, which is fitting as the story starts on a boat and the story goes on to include many coastal cities. The words chosen are not contrived to match a specific rhythm, but rather flow along naturally while you are transported into this new world.

What I disliked most about the book is the cover. I know this seems like an odd thing to complain about, but the cover is not nearly as beautiful as the story itself and I just don't think the cover does the book justice.

I would recommend this book for adults who like classical fantasy. The book does contain multiple instances of swearing and some other adult references, so it is not appropriate for children. Having said that, the author does not overuse colorful language it just so happens that some of the characters we meet in the book have a mouth on them. Use your own discretion with teens.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”