Review by C Tsang -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
C Tsang
Currently Reading: The Blade Itsel
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-tsang.html
Latest Review: Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell

Review by C Tsang -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by C Tsang »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is an impressive example of modern fantasy and is masterfully edited, which enables it to conquer the essential details of the style and build suspense throughout the novel. I consider the tale to stand alongside the likes of Joe Abercrombie and Tad Williams. Matthew Tysz can sculpt the fantasy genre to fit his own desires and hooks the reader from the initial words, captivating them and enrapturing their minds till the finish. This work once again ignited my love for the genre and reading.

Matthew Tysz tells a tale of toil against evil and the prospect of a fresh beginning as it follows the kingdom of Voulhire through both what appears its bleakest and brightest moments. He tells the adventures of a new arrival to the kingdom, a new Lord to a town with a horrifying past and a king who is losing faith in the world. As the point of view changes from protagonist to protagonist, it leaves us to wonder how these different individuals will connect their entwining tales.

The feature I most liked of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies was the writer’s competence in continually maintaining the reader’s interest and leaving them to speculate what would transpire next whilst allowing them to associate with the enthusiasm and resolve of the characters. Transporting the reader into Tysz’s life full of magic and mages, solely to be left at the threshold of their seat as the secrets that unfold as they delve further into the tale.

The aspect I liked the least was I thought some points within the book I was shifted from character to character too rapidly and was left somewhat confused about specific events that transpired within the plot.

I would give We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz 4 out of 4 stars, the quality of writing is exceptional and infuses a new lease of life into the fantasy genre and is a name I will lookout for in bookstores. 

I gave the book 4 stars as I believe it covers some truly important subjects about freedom, hope and adventure. I contemplated giving three stars, but the bond the author establishes between the characters and the readers made me think otherwise of such a rating. The characters develop throughout the novel, from what we learn about their beliefs and personalities to their past.

This book would most likely appeal to readers who are seeking an escape and looking for something laden with adventure and a clear sense of otherworldly elements as this work provides handfuls of both and allows the readers to envelop themselves within another reality. I further believe this would appeal to those who appreciate the works of Tad Williams and other modern fantasy authors.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”