Review by Nahmee -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nahmee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nahmee.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Nahmee -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by Nahmee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies touches on war, peace, magic, law and order in various societies as it struggles to merge it all into one.

The book covered two nations. One, the Lands of the princes where there are constant chaos and war. This is brought about as a result of the never-ending battle between the four sons of the emperor who founded the Lands of the Princes. There is a constant tussle for power as they each vie for the throne. As a result, life there is difficult. Its citizens merely exist with no hope of a better life.

Voulhire, on the other hand, is a town of hope. It seems to be a peaceful and prosperous city. Various smaller towns come together to make up the nation of Voulhire. Each of these towns is known for a particular activity: skill, commerce, worship, politics. Its capital is Soulhire and it is ruled by a powerful yet generous king, Wilhelm. Behind the façade of Voulhire lies a problem-magic, which causes a lot of misfortune for its citizens.

The uniting agent between both worlds is in the person of Galen Bray. Galen was invited to Voulhire from the Lands of the Princes by his uncle. Galen saw this as an opportunity to escape the life of drudgery and hopelessness in the Lands of the Princes and start a new life. We are Voulhire takes readers through Galen’s struggles to settle into a new environment and also learn a new trade.

Hillport is a small town. One of the less popular towns in Voulhire. Its people lead a simple lifestyle, but Hillport suffered a setback. Its residents were traumatized because of the oppression and magic that was brought upon them by two of their past successive leaders. To bring sanity back to Hillport, King Wilhem sent Lord Eldus Alderman to go rule over the city. Lord Eldus meets with various obstacles as he fights to restore peace to Hillport at the detriment of his own life.

The questions left unanswered are, what is the relationship between all the towns of Voulhire? Will Galen succeed in his new life? Will Lord Eldus restore peace to Hillport? Matthew Tysz answers all that in the sequel which I eagerly look forward to reading.

The author uses his descriptive powers and maps to make the book come alive. I could picture most of the scenes even though it had an epic setting with much action. What I disliked most about the book was the suspense. Too many questions were left unanswered. Though there is a sequel, I feel at least some aspects could have had a conclusion.

I rate the book four out of four stars because it was well edited and the scenes flowed well into each other.

This book will appeal to young adults who love science fiction and fantasy.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”