Official Review: Evasion by Érica L Hernández

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marsnikk
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsnikk.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Re: Official Review: Evasion by Érica L Hernández

Post by Marsnikk »

The beginning of your review reminded me of “Birdbox”. It’s unfortunate that the book couldn’t live up to this genre! Thank you for being honest!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I do hope the author takes your suggestions into consideration and polishes a promising story-line :) I guess this one was really hard to follow considering all the issues. Thank you for a great review!
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

I think I am much like you in that I wanted to be able to enjoy this book, but because of your review, I will give it a skip until the writer and editor have gone over it again.

I appreciate all the effort and thought you put into analyzing this story and it was quickly obvious that it was with a begrudging attitude you felt compelled to remove stars from it's a rating. Yet you still continued in a positive way by pointing out it's several redeeming qualities. I'm with you in hoping this book will be ready in the not-too-distant future for another review and you will be the one doing it.

Thank you for sharing with us a review that must have been somewhat uncomfortable for you.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee :eusa-think: :flags-canada:
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Thanks for your review! You're right: the premise of the book sounds very interesting. Too bad it didn't live up to its potential. Just out of curiosity, were the sections that covered gathering food and wound care actually helpful and informative? Could you tell if the author had done any research into actual practical survival skills?
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Bianka Walter wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 05:16 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Evasion" by Érica L Hernández.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The flu has finally developed to the point where it is defeating the majority of the world’s population. Slowly, people are succumbing to their sicknesses as hospitals overflow and medication ceases to function. In Evasion, two friends must try to beat the odds and save their families from the adverse effects of the virus. Sam and Eliana gradually find friends, gain allies, and start to build a sustainable life where their children will be safe from the unfamiliar world they are now immersed in.

Through frequent supply runs, and with new and unusual threats, the people we meet in this book by Erica L. Hernandez are constantly in danger. I am a big fan of ‘end of the world’ stories, so when I read this premise, I was obviously excited. My excitement was unfortunately short-lived. For all of the build-up and potential, nothing really happened in this book.

There are a few main things that do occur. Firstly, there is a colossal amount of storyline dedicated to discussing food. What to eat, how to cater, how to can, foraging options, and storage space are all discussed in unnecessary detail. Next, the occupants of the main group go out on scavenging runs. They gather into smaller groups, climb into cars, and drive to various places looking for supplies. The final portion of events is dedicated to fixing wounds and tending to the sick. There really isn’t much else that happens, and this cements the story’s banality.

Hernandez is also someone that tells rather than shows. The majority of the story is dialogue, and not much is said about the setting that they find themselves in. This made me struggle to truly picture what was going on.

There were a few instances in the book which made it somewhat unrealistic. The ease with which everyone took to carrying weapons and guns was questionable. It might just be me, but I don’t like the idea of carrying a knife in case I might have to actually use it. That is a terrifying thought. Also, the fact that everyone in both Sam and Eliana’s family (bar one) didn’t get infected with the virus when 90% of the world’s population did. It just makes it slightly far-fetched.

The editing was okay. There were quite a few errors that could easily be picked up with a good proofread. With all of this considered, I can’t come to a higher rating than 1 out of 4 stars. The story needs tightening and there is a lot of noise that can be reduced. With a clearer direction in where the storyline should be headed, I believe the author can make Evasion quite enjoyable. As it is, this is a reasonable first draft. I would love to recommend this to fellow dystopia fans, so I hope the author dives back in to make some changes. I think it will be well worth it!

Evasion
View: on Bookshelves
I would love to read a book with this premise if it were executed properly! Sounds like the author could benefit from learning to outline plots. Wonderful review!
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Marsnikk wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 09:30 The beginning of your review reminded me of “Birdbox”. It’s unfortunate that the book couldn’t live up to this genre! Thank you for being honest!
Thank you for stopping by! :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Ellylion wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 13:06 I do hope the author takes your suggestions into consideration and polishes a promising story-line :) I guess this one was really hard to follow considering all the issues. Thank you for a great review!
I hope she does, too! This really does have some potential - so would be great :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

LauraLeeWasHere wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 18:16 I think I am much like you in that I wanted to be able to enjoy this book, but because of your review, I will give it a skip until the writer and editor have gone over it again.

I appreciate all the effort and thought you put into analyzing this story and it was quickly obvious that it was with a begrudging attitude you felt compelled to remove stars from it's a rating. Yet you still continued in a positive way by pointing out it's several redeeming qualities. I'm with you in hoping this book will be ready in the not-too-distant future for another review and you will be the one doing it.

Thank you for sharing with us a review that must have been somewhat uncomfortable for you.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee :eusa-think: :flags-canada:
Thank you, Laura-Lee for such a wonderful comment! I really appreciate it :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Laura Lee wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 20:12 Thanks for your review! You're right: the premise of the book sounds very interesting. Too bad it didn't live up to its potential. Just out of curiosity, were the sections that covered gathering food and wound care actually helpful and informative? Could you tell if the author had done any research into actual practical survival skills?
The author has some experience in food prep and techniques for keeping food for a while, but nothing was really portrayed well enough to take notes for survival. It was just mentioned, for example, that they were canning the food. No mention of the methods. So no survivalist tips here :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 19:21 I would love to read a book with this premise if it were executed properly! Sounds like the author could benefit from learning to outline plots. Wonderful review!
Thanks so much for stopping by! I really appreciate your comments :)
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”