Official Review: The End-Days War by Micah Burkholder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Official Review: The End-Days War by Micah Burkholder

Post by Washboard »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The End-Days War" by Micah Burkholder.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After one thousand years of seclusion, the resurgence of demons roaming the earth means the world needs Delphine, the Ebony Warrior to return. Forced out of her seclusion, Delphine dons her custom ebony armor and picks up her greatsword once more. Under the guidance of Lagertha, the Wolf Queen, Delphine recruits Ragnar the Ranger to join her in her quest. Along the way, Ragnar rescues a young woman named Iris from a demon attack and begins to train her to become a demon hunter. Delphine, Ragnar, and Iris scour the earth to hunt the Daedric Lords to prevent them from bringing Satan back from hell. Will they be able to stop the Daedric Lords and the Black Elder Dragon, or will the world fall into ruin?

Micah Burkholder’s first novel, The End-Days War boasts an impressive four hundred and seventy-five pages of dark fantasy and demon-slaying, with a touch of romance. I suspect the author was inspired at least in part by J. R. R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings trilogy, as there are several parallels in the characters and storyline. While some of the similarities are more subtle, such as shared characteristics between the rangers in each story, others are much more apparent, to the point where I recognized lines of dialogue.

While the premise behind the story is enjoyable, I think some revisions are necessary for it to show its potential. One of my biggest concerns is the repetitive phrasing used throughout the book. The repetition was difficult to ignore, with some sentences being used multiple times in a single paragraph. Parts of nearly every battle sequence were identical, which took out some of the excitement.

The number of errors throughout the book was distracting. For example, in the first three pages, there were over twenty instances of incorrect capitalization. I also found the romantic developments to be awkward and forced, and I think the story would have been stronger without them.

The abundant errors present, along with the redundant phrasing, predictable storyline, and awkward romance, merit only a one out of four-star rating. With editing to correct the errors and some adjustments to the writing to diversify the action scenes, I would gladly increase the rating. As it currently stands, I would not recommend this book to readers, even those who enjoy fantasy stories. The violence and sexual scenes make it inappropriate for younger readers. However, I would not go so far as to categorize this as "dark fantasy", as none of these scenes were very descriptive.

The End-Days War
View: on Bookshelves
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Oh dear. I don't think I would enjoy reading this one at all! It has too many flaws that would be hard to overlook. Thanks for your honest review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Meg98 wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 10:50 Oh dear. I don't think I would enjoy reading this one at all! It has too many flaws that would be hard to overlook. Thanks for your honest review!
Thank you! I wish I had been able to give it a higher rating, but sadly, I think my review is accurate for this edition.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It certainly seems that this one would be a bit difficult to get through. The repetitive battle scenes would be annoying. Then the errors would distract from the story. I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 20:23 It certainly seems that this one would be a bit difficult to get through. The repetitive battle scenes would be annoying. Then the errors would distract from the story. I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks.
Yes, the battle scenes were a bit difficult to get through after a while. With a good editor, I think this book could be made a lot more enjoyable. Thanks for your comment!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ouch. This is quite disappointing. Even for a standard fantasy plot it sounded interesting but the flaws you pointed out are more than enough to make me rethink reading this one.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Nisha Ward wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 01:51 Ouch. This is quite disappointing. Even for a standard fantasy plot it sounded interesting but the flaws you pointed out are more than enough to make me rethink reading this one.
The plot has some great potential, but the book needs some work before I could recommend it. Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”