Review by Onyinye Excel -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review by Onyinye Excel -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by Onyinye Excel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire - A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Mathew Tysz is a fictional story about a place called Voulhire. Voulhire is ruled by a king. It has many towns governed by different lords. One of these towns is a place called Hillport. Hillport has had two lords. These lords abused children and inflicted terror on the people. The most recent Lord - Meldorath is a powerful mage who is greatly feared in Voulhire. He is captured and kept hostage somewhere in the town by the king. The people are told he is dead. Meanwhile a young boy (Galen) is brought from the Land of the Princes to Voulhire at his uncle's death. After claiming his inheritance, they (he and his executor) discover a rare rock that piques their curiosity. When Hillport is destroyed after discovering this rock, one might question if the king was right in keeping Meldorath alive. How the story unravels after this discovery is something you have to read.

The story was full of suspense, intrigue, and excitement. It had different facets. It also had several major characters. These all contributed in making it a balanced read with an exceptional plot.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't take out any star because it had few errors. It looked like it was professionally edited. I also settled for a 4 because the story was fascinating and entertaining enough to deserve a 4.

I recommend this book to lovers of fiction, magic, and war stories. It would also appeal to people who love reading about the challenges leaders face in government. This is because of what happened in Hillport.

On the other hand, people who dislike magic or fiction may not find this book appealing. This is because of the roles the mages played in the story. Also, femnists may not appreciate this story because most of the major characters were men.

I did not like the few errors I encountered in the course of reading this book. This was what I enjoyed least in the story. This is because it made the story drag. Though they were few (which was why I gave it a 4), I had expected it to be a flawless (without error) read. All the same, I guess no man is perfect.

What I enjoyed most in the story was Lord Eldus's humility. He was a leader that identified with the people's needs. He went from house to house seeking the offended instead of waiting for them to come to him. This act of love and concern for his people endeared him to me. The reason is that such acts of leadership are examplary and worthy of emulation.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

I'm glad you rated the book highly despite the few errors you encountered.Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”