Review by Zhariah -- Project Tau by Jude Austin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by Zhariah -- Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Zhariah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Project Tau" by Jude Austin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered about how far technology will go in creating, and abusing, artificial life? Set in the distant future, Project Tau by Jude Austin is a captivating science fiction novel that deals with human rights, freedom, abuse, and the ethics of cloning.

Kalin Taylor is an almost blind, overweight college student hoping to enhance his social standing and romantic prospects by getting into Phi Mu Alpha fraternity. The only thing standing in his way is the fraternity initiation - break into a highly guarded medical facility and take a picture of Project Tau. Kalin's plan seems to run smoothly until he is captured, turning his life upside down.

One of the big themes of this book for me was the ethics of cloning and just what makes a person human. Clones are given basic instructions, not allowed to feel, and are used for tasks deemed too dangerous for humans. As the book progresses, Tau's evolution questions the ethics of treating clones as things, not people. Given the technological booms we experience, I feel like this is an area that needs more attention and thought.

Despite the seriousness of the themes in this book, it is surprisingly humorous. Because of Tau’s inexperience with life and taking words at their literal meaning, he often misunderstands what he hears. I chuckled through most of the dialogue exchanges between Tau and Kata. In one instance, after Kata states that he wants to try to think, Tau, confused over the word try, asks, "Are you brain-deficient?" This one made my eyes water with laughter.

I'm hard-pressed to find a downside to this book, but I would like to warn readers that there is quite a lot of violence and torture. These aspects form a huge basis for the theme of the book, however, and are not used gratuitously. The author also leaves many of the gruesome details up to the imagination of the reader.

Overall, Project Tau is an exciting and thought-provoking read and I give it 4 out of 4 stars. The book is well-edited with minimal mistakes. I recommend this book to science fiction fans and those who enjoy an emotional and psychological read. Besides the violence mentioned above, I would also like to warn that there is frequent coarse language, so if either of these bothers you, then I would give this one a miss.

Project Tau
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

Excellent review. This is one of my favorite books. I hope we never get to the point of cloning humans - that would be a huge mistake. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”