Official Review: The Redemption of Anaìr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Official Review: The Redemption of Anaìr

Post by dragonet07 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Redemption of Anaìr" by Alexander Findlay.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Since the publication of Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings in the mid-1900s, epic fantasy has been a popular source of entertainment and an effective tool for exploring humanity. The genre might have yielded to the likes of The Hunger Games and The Handmaid’s Tale recently, but it still holds strong, presenting to its readers such themes as good vs. evil, organized religion vs. morality, and socio-economic and political inequality. Even today these themes are explored in works like The Redemption of Anaìr by Alexander Findlay.

Anaìr Torgayl has been called many things: an alcoholic, a sinner, an artist, a warrior, the Consecrated One. Once upon a time, he would slaughter on the battlefield by day and drown his sorrows in debauchery by night. To some, he is a disgrace. To others, a hero. To most, he is both. But there is one thing that no one would ever think he would be called: Chief Warden, the leader of the troops of Solatus.

Then barbaric forces from the West invade Solatus, killing and raping Solati civilians and troops alike. When an ill-fated campaign to defeat these invaders kills Chief Warden Merris Morgain, Deputy Chief Warden Rhys Garadon's nomination of Anaìr to the position launches the controversial man from disgraced Warden to Solatus's last hope for survival. Yet the road to redemption is never an easy one, and when you're already convinced it's too late, it can be nearly impossible.

Will Anaìr be able to overcome the shadows of his past to save the land and people he loves? Is there something more to the tainted house of Torgayl than meets the eye? And will Solatus survive this unprecedented attack?

As a fantasy reader who has always been captivated by world building, I was taken by The Redemption of Anaìr immediately. From the beginning, readers are launched into Anaìr's world—both the physical setting and the inner world that torments Anaìr—as Findlay vividly describes Anaìr losing himself to his art. Findlay then takes his audience on a trip through an entirely new land with distinct cultural and religious customs, social hierarchies and expectations, and racial tension. We even get a look into how Solati customs clash with those of the invading forces, the Orvinarr, including their views on gender equality and Solatus's female warriors. Findlay knows every inch of this land as well as, if not better than, our own, and his ability to create such a fantastic world down to the last detail seems to be his greatest, though not his only, strength here.

Developing alongside this setting and its intricate societies are well-rounded characters, particularly Anaìr. Anaìr is complicated right from the beginning, a talented artist but also a reluctantly cunning warrior, someone looked down upon for his past behavior but revered for his work on the battlefield and, while not everyone will admit it, his artwork. Everyone around him is just as layered, even if the author couldn't go into their backstories and personalities in as much detail, from worldly warriors to the enigmatic Matriarch. Most importantly, the invaders are not completely one-dimensional, depicted as the more morally corrupt side of the conflict and in league with something evil but not without their human traits. Considering it can be so easy to draw antagonists as completely evil, it's a relief to see both the heroes and the villains through gray-colored glasses.

Findlay creates a complex story where plot, character, and setting are so tightly woven together that they are almost inseparable. There are, of course, a few stragglers that seem unnecessary, but that happens in all novels. However, the close relationship among plot, characters, and the setting means that the book relies heavily on the world building. As I said before, I am a huge fan of that aspect of fantasy and Findlay has great imaginative energy, but in this book, it sometimes leads to info dump. It ended up dragging down the pace of Part I, in some places to the point that it was a chore to read. Everything really picked up in Part II; Part I just would have been better if some of the world building had been spread out or trimmed down.

This book isn’t for everyone. While the battle scenes are heart-pumping and captivating, Findlay focuses more on the socio-politico-cultural constructs and how they inform the plot, so readers who prefer action-packed epic fantasy might be disappointed. If you don’t like swearing, you probably won’t be into Findlay’s novel, either. I don’t find it excessive, but the characters are not shy about using impolite language. There is not any detailed descriptions of sex scenes, although there are scenes following sex that make it clear that sex has just occurred. There are also references to nudity, rape, and the aftermath of rape, so I would not recommend this novel for anyone under eighteen years old (maybe sixteen at youngest) or who is triggered by such depictions.

Overall, I give The Redemption of Anaìr by Alexander Findlay 3 out of 4 stars. It is a throwback to classic epic fantasy with new twists that bring it up to the standards of 21st-century readers. Part I can be hard to get into with its mounds of world building, and the pacing of this section is often bogged down by exposition. I also noted multiple grammatical errors. I have a Bachelor's in English and might be pickier than most readers, but the book still needs to be proofread further. Nevertheless, Findlay has me hooked. Even with everything revealed here, I know that there is more to discover, and I am eager to get to it. I want more of Solatus, its people, their cultures and society, the Orvinarr, and lands yet to be explored. If the ending is any indication, The Redemption of Anaìr is only the beginning.

The Redemption of Anaìr
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Fantasy novels are tricky. To develop characters and imagery and at the same time have a meaningful plot is a task. This book seems to have gotten it all right. Shame that it has so may grammatical errors. Your review is so detailed and informative. Your degree in English shows.
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

This book could turn out to be more because it has an interesting plot and the characters are interwoven together. Your review is detailed and quite compelling.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It seems like authors can't seem to avoid info dumps in this genre nit the nuanced portrayals of thw antagonists provides a nice counterpoint for me. I might just check this out, if only for that and the cast's reluctance to admit admiration for Anair's art.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think it can be so hard for an author who has spent so much time developing their world and thinking about their world to realize that the reader does not need to know the world as intricately as they do. Still, if I had time for epic works right now, this definitely sounds like something I would enjoy.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

What an amazingly thorough review! It's been a while since I've read a good fantasy book. I was hoping this one would be my next read. However, after reading your review, I don't think I'll enjoy it much. Thanks!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”