Review by Don Pwai -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Review by Don Pwai -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by Don Pwai »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War brings many unforeseen but disastrous consequences in the society. It destroys generations, destroys the society’s economy and causes great suffering to the people. The novel We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Mathew Tysz is a novel about the leading character Galen Bray who is fleeing from his war torn kingdom. The four princes of the kingdom are embroiled in a civil war against each other in a bid to inherit their father's throne. All have a legitimate claim to the throne . The result of their war is endless suffering to the citizens. Citizens are used as soldiers in the war. War in the native home thus forces Galen to flee from home to the Kingdom of Voulhire. He is on a journey to find his life mission. What did life hold for him? War is all that he had known ever since he was a child. He is twenty eight years but the wars in his homeland still persists. On the other hand, the state of Voulhire is an exact contrast to his native home. It is a state whose citizens are united and is enjoying relative piece. Moreover, it is more technologically advanced than the rest of the world. They thrive because of their magnificent way of life, solidarity and advanced technologies. Will Galen get absorbed into this new life?

I loved the manner in which the author creates awareness on the effects of war. The author asserts that war results to loss of lives, shattered economy, causes animosity amongst citizens and a society where citizens cannot thrive. It brings needless suffering to the citizenry. The natives of the Kingdom are the ones who suffer the most when the princes fight for the throne. People like Galen does not hesitate about fleeing the Kingdom when the opportunity to do so presents itself. The author by highlighting the effects of war creates awareness to the society that they must refrain from combats. Combats brings needless suffering to the people. He want communities to live peacefully and thrive in togetherness. That was excellent.

Secondly, I loved the suspense used in the novel after Galen set on the Journey to Voulhire. He is on a journey to find his life mission and to inherit the estate of his uncle who had recently died. I was interested in learning about the fate of his mission. Will he find his life’s purpose in Voulhire? Will he gets absorbed in Voulhire's way of life? The desire to find answers to these questions kept me glued on the book. I could not put down the novel once I had began reading it.

I also appreciated the use of simple language in this book's narration. The author uses a simple language that is very easy to read and comprehend. I had no difficulty reading the novel. The simple language made it easy to understand the novel. There was no need to read some pages or sentences twice to fully grasp them.

There is nothing I disliked in this novel. I thus give it 4 out of 4 stars. I give it four stars because it is enlightening on several societal issues including effects of war, greed for power and impacts of technological advancements. That was magnificent. I recommend it to all persons interested in contemporary issues in the society and lovers of science fantasies. It discusses contemporary matters in the society and there is a lot of scientific ideas to be learned from the state of Voulhire. Persons who have no interests in books that discusses contemporary issues in society or science fantasy novels may look for other books. This book is exceptionally well edited.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”