Review by Fazzier -- Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: How Can A Man Die Better by Roy V Gaston

Review by Fazzier -- Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Last Another Day" by Baileigh Higgins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last Another Day is a thrilling zombie apocalypse story written by Baileigh Higgins. This is the first book of The Dangerous Days Series. A horde of zombies has infested a whole nation, nowhere is safe, and there is chaos everywhere. With each passing moment, families are losing their loved ones to the monsters, and there is a constant flee to safety. But which places are safe?

Meanwhile, an ex-military, Captain Breytenbach, has been sent to save the son of a certain billionaire who has also been caught in the conundrum. Reaching the destination, the captain realizes that some pre-school kids and their teachers have also been trapped in the menace and urgently need his help. What will he do considering this was not part of his original plan? Are these the only survivors or are there more? Even as he was pondering over these questions, one thing was for a fact: things were getting more complicated than he had earlier imagined.

I liked how well Last Another Day was written and executed. The author's third-person narrative approach and the introduction of new characters were all excellently done. Another thing I found worth mentioning is the author's creativity in naming the characters. Tumi, for instance, was expecting a child when the author introduced her, and I couldn't help but see the connection between her name and her condition. This, inevitably, made her memorable. The wrap-up was also wonderful as it left enough questions for the next sequel to develop from. Additionally, switching between the zombie attack and the sexual tension that was building between some of the survivors also added appeal to this work. More often than not, the so created suspense between the shifts kept me engrossed in this page-turner in anticipation for more. All these aspects enhanced my enjoyment of this story.

Furthermore, I liked how well the author developed the characters. The characters are unique, diverse, and interesting. Specifically, I admired everything about Captain Breytenbach. From being caring, careful to always putting the needs of others above his, I couldn't help but like him from when the author introduced him until the end of the book. Many survivors depended on him, and he ensured he didn't let them down. One of the outstanding moments was when he even skipped meals to enable mothers and their hungry children to eat first. Those rare qualities of courage and selflessness made him stand out.

What I liked the most was the author's use of this book to depict the incompetence and greed of some government political leaders. It was evident that the disaster management team didn't put in place solid measures to curb or manage such unpredictable calamities as the zombie attack. Poor response to the disaster, receipt of conflicting reports from the government to the military, and the choice of a haven with impossible living conditions, among others, confirmed the sad fact. The most heartbreaking part of it all was that, while the citizens were there struggling to stay alive, the president and his cronies “fled the coup and holed up in the hills with a half the army and a boatload of supplies.” Though absurd, that situation conspicuously reflects what happens in many governments during catastrophes, and this couldn't have been portrayed better than the author did!

All in all, I didn't find anything to dislike about this book. It seems to have been professionally edited since I found only a few minor errors. I'm, therefore, glad to award Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins 4 out of 4 stars. The author's wonderful creation of characters, explorations of pertinent themes, and excellent wrap-up justify such a perfect rating. This novel will appeal to fans of horror stories as the descriptions of the zombies and their maneuvers are just as graphic as such kind of readers would want it. Fans of romance that focuses on building chemistry rather than the action itself will also appreciate this. However, due to some instances of light erotic content and borderline profanity, children or readers who may be affected by such may consider skipping this.

Last Another Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: The Open Door by Gary Luitjens
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading »

This made me think of World War Z . The book sounds exciting and action-packed. I also like that the romance/chemistry was well-developed in the story. Great review!
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: How Can A Man Die Better by Roy V Gaston

Post by Fazzier »

Ever_Reading wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 10:05
This made me think of World War Z . The book sounds exciting and action-packed. I also like that the romance/chemistry was well-developed in the story. Great review!
Indeed, it is exciting and action-packed. I'm glad you stopped by, and thank you so much for the comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”