Official Review: Journey to the Andromeda Galaxy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ViziVoir
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 225
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 300
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vizivoir.html
Latest Review: Survive! by Charles P. Graham

Official Review: Journey to the Andromeda Galaxy

Post by ViziVoir » 19 Oct 2019, 15:50

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Journey to the Andromeda Galaxy" by Steve Kristensen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Journey to the Andromeda Galaxy by Steve Kristensen is a science fiction adventure story that follows Soid and his friends Jonah, Dulmer, Jelena, and I.Q. They live on a futuristic Earth, where interplanetary travel by humans is still practically impossible. Research done by Soid's uncle promises to change that, though. When he seeks out Soid's help keeping his findings from falling into the wrong hands, Soid and his friends must escape through a portal to an alien world. On their journey to return home, they discover the truth about the portal, Soid's uncle, and the denizens of the alien planet they've found themselves on.

This book's greatest strength is its worldbuilding, as is to be expected from a science fiction novel. The Earth where Soid lives is at once familiar and unusual, and the narrative did a great job of conveying what Soid's daily life was like before he went through the portal without ever becoming boring. The world they find themselves in, Xelia, creates a unique and diverse set of challenges for the characters, from mood-altering storms to a boiling hot river cutting through a desert. The Xelians also have a culture that's very fleshed out, complete with its own conflicts and undercurrents.

Perhaps more engaging, though, were the characters. Giving adequate development to every member of an ensemble cast is challenging, to say nothing of making them memorable, and despite introducing a few too many people into the mix, this book managed to do both. For example, Jonah, a talented architecture student who was extremely ill on Earth, finds himself completely healthy on Xelia and must decide if he really wants to return home at all. The group of friends often argue amongst themselves, too, which adds a great deal to their realism and believability.

Unfortunately, this book isn't devoid of rough patches. It has a significant number of grammatical errors, particularly pertaining to capitalization and apostrophe usage. The structure of the book can be quite strange, with chapters that have sub-headings that summarize exactly what happens in the following passage, often with no regard to spoilers. The book also sometimes explicitly tells readers what certain characters' roles and motivations are, rather than allowing that information to surface naturally, and the pacing seems rushed at times.

While I found the book very satisfying, I still have to rate it 3 out of 4 stars due to its imperfections. In short, while the story is very engaging, its execution is somewhat lacking. If you can look past its flaws, it's an exciting story that I think is suitable for people 13 or older (there's some limited cursing, but no sexual content). The worldbuilding is inventive, the characters are portrayed effectively, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Journey to the Andromeda Galaxy
View: on Bookshelves

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Forever Will End: Gospel of Chaos Book One by Dom Brandt

Post by kandscreeley » 21 Oct 2019, 20:40

With such great world building, I'm definitely willing to overlook the errors. I'm intrigued about these portals and what it all means. Sounds like this is one I need to read. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 103
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Other Gloria by L. A. Villafane

Post by kdstrack » 22 Oct 2019, 20:13

Your description of the world building and the characters are compelling. The addition of the portal really adds to the appeal of this story. I, also, like that this is a standalone and not the beginning of a series. This looks promising. Thanks for the recommendation!

Falconcrest
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
Currently Reading: The Girl In White Pajamas
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Falconcrest » 25 Oct 2019, 20:50

There is enough in your review to actually make this an acceptable read through. I really enjoy this genre and the multiple relationships outlined in your review make it actually more interesting. Thanks for a well-written review.

Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Daniel Muky » 04 Nov 2019, 17:30

Past the errors,I think I would enjoy a dose of portals...
Seems a nice read in general even with the rushing and all that..
Thanks

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”