Review by EvangelineK -- The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Evangeline Khumalo
Currently Reading: The Art of War
Bookshelf Size: 12904
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evangeline-khumalo.html
Latest Review: Amulet's Rapture by Linnea Tanner

Review by EvangelineK -- The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Evangeline Khumalo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Queen of Xana" by Fred Pilcher.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Queen of Xana
By Fred Pilcher
In the mystical kingdom of Xana, we are taken through the different stages in the life of Princess Agatha, daughter of Queen Julia of Xana. The story begins with the birth of Agatha and the magical appearance of her fairy godmother, who speaks an astonishing prophecy over the queen’s daughter and what she will do for her people. Princess Agatha grows and becomes queen after losing her mother suddenly, now finds herself amid the biggest challenge of her life. She meets her soulmate Olaf, and together they overcome one problem after another side by side.

Agatha is a head-strong woman with a good sense of what is right and what is wrong and was not afraid to stand up for it even in her youth. She has a determination to see the people of land prosper and abolish greed and corruption throughout her land and make her people prosperous. She is idolized and loved by her people who love justice.

This book is written in the form of a biography, based on myths and legends. The way the writer depicts the land of Xana ensures that you must sometimes remind yourself that this is not a historical figure and nation but a fictional one with similar problems (aside from the magical ones, of course). The author’s style of writing is what I would recommend for the more mature reader, even though there is occasional use of foul language because it could easily make the book seem endless.

I would rate this book a 1 out of 4 because it was, unfortunately, a drag even though it was well edited. I did not enjoy how the author would often describe certain events in the main protagonist’s life like he was trying to censor himself around children but then write as though he is explaining to a university class about all the merits of Queen Agatha’s life and her decisions.

I did, however, enjoy the way the author portrayed Agatha’s strengths and the value of her decisions. Even though Agatha was soft at heart, she had the wisdom of knowing when to have a firm hand and when to have mercy. The author put forward ideas that could also be quite useful in improving the countries we live in today if implemented correctly. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the historical type of writing and wants to take a break from the facts of history to delve into something mystical.

The Queen of Xana
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”