Official Review: Perseverance by M. C. Colon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Firefawkes
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Emerald Stones by Rob Ward

Official Review: Perseverance by M. C. Colon

Post by Firefawkes » 03 Oct 2019, 21:11

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Perseverance" by M. C. Colon.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The difference between good and evil is not always as clear cut as the difference between light and dark. Can something be considered evil if it’s all a person knows? Is the difference known innately or must it be taught? Knowledge is an important factor in keeping people on the right path, but how can one teach others when people in power are fighting against you? M. C. Colon explores this struggle in her second book of the Athanasian Realm series: Perseverance.

The Isle of Wisdom is in trouble. The Tenebrosity Realm has been waiting patiently for hundreds of years to overthrow Athanasia and the Isle of Wisdom. Spies have been strategically placed and the towers grow weaker each passing decade. Adicia, Gara, and Tavis—leaders of the Tower of Sorcery, Warriors, and Clerics respectively—begin to unravel a highly convoluted plan to take over the Athanasian Realm and suddenly realize exactly how unprepared their realm is for when Tenebrosity attacks. Can they restore the towers to their proper glory and strength before Tenebrosity attacks and enslaves the Athanasian Realm?

This book includes not only a well-thought-out magic system, but also considers the politics that would be required by a world inhabited by different races—humans, elves, and dwarves. I found that M. C. Colon did an amazing job of portraying the similarities and differences among the different races, going as far as illustrating the differences in the magic each can perform.

M. C. Colon also succeeded at creating unique characters with different quirks and personalities, even if their speech patterns did not vary too much. Adicia is a strong, well-rounded, and talented sorceress who can calmly navigate tight situations, while the younger characters Nettie, Maggie, and Mattie are hot-headed and boisterous apprentices. The apprentices’ out-spoken personalities combine with their overall lack of tact to land the group in a few intense—but comical—situations throughout the book.

While this book has many positives, there were a few things I would like to see the author improve. I found the protagonists seemed to float through the story with no real hiccups interrupting their journey, something I would not have expected when reading about a country at war. This removed any sense of suspense from the novel that would have added to the reading experience.

I also found that the author seemed to enjoy writing lists. There were many instances where numerous characters were introduced at once; for example, multiple paragraphs were spent stating who was attending a ceremony, but very few of these characters were ever mentioned again. These lists displayed the enormous amount of consideration the author put into her world, however, I found it difficult to keep track of so many characters when they were named off all at once.

Finally, I encourage the author to perform another round of editing to eliminate some of the grammatical errors present throughout the book. These errors did not make the book difficult to read, but they did interrupt the flow of reading on many occasions.

In conclusion, I believe this book would appeal to lovers of dystopian fantasy worlds littered with internal corruption. This book has firm potential to be a strong competitor on every fantasy-lovers bookshelf after another round of editing; however, in its current state, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys magical realms and strong characters. However, due to the presence of torture and graphic content, I would only recommend this book to older readers or those not bothered by such themes.

Perseverance
View: on Bookshelves

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Oct 2019, 17:40

This one seems intriguing. I love that the world is built so well, but the numerous lists would drive me crazy. In addition, it's never extremely interesting when the protagonist don't experience any trials. It's too easy. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

HeatherEi
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani

Post by HeatherEi » 05 Oct 2019, 19:41

Great review! I love fantasy novels, especially when the magical/mystical system is well thought out.

LauraLeeWasHere
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 304
Favorite Book: My Glimpse of Eternity
Currently Reading: Hinds Feelt on High Places
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

Post by LauraLeeWasHere » 05 Oct 2019, 23:30

Thanks for your review of Perseverance.

You gave a good overall idea of the genre, plot, and characters (all the kind I like), but also a good warning about some of the graphic parts (which I would just as soon skip).

Reviews like yours are exactly what I come to the online Book Club for. Well done.
Sincerely, Laura-Lee :tiphat:
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. John 21:25 KJV

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Book: Magic Slays
Currently Reading: Magic Rises
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Letora » 06 Oct 2019, 06:27

I agree with your review, that with a country at war, things should not proceed without interruption. I think it would make a better tale if there are conflict and struggle. Listing I think would have taken away from my reading experience as well. When I edit I always mark up any list a writer has made and tell them to cut it down and go into detail on what is important. It's a shame because this book sounds like it has so much potential. Wonderful review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: F in Exams
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 06 Oct 2019, 15:30

Lists are weirdly appealing to me, though I, too, wouldn't be able to remember a load of characters introduced at once. It does sound interesting and I chuckled at the name of the bad guys' kingdom. Nice wink and a nudge there.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Jim in Enemy Territory by Le Lan Anh

Post by kdstrack » 07 Oct 2019, 21:27

I was intrigued by your opening comments about the differences between good and evil. The plot sounds interesting, but there are too many aspects that would make this story too frustrating for me. I appreciate you insights. Great review.

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: A Dragon’s Flame by Mercedese Jeffries

Post by esp1975 » 09 Oct 2019, 11:42

Jonathan Barnes uses lists frequently and very effectively in The Somnambulist to help establish a rhythm in the prose, but those tend to be short lists (3-4 items). I do find really long lists can be distracting, especially if they are lists of names that don't really matter anywhere else. (I skip over the "begat" sections in the Bible.)

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 220
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Retribution by Mike peck
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 10 Oct 2019, 15:53

I really like the concept of this novel. I hope the author takes your suggestions for improvement so that the plot and characters can have as much depth as the world-building. Great review!

Firefawkes

Post by Firefawkes » 12 Oct 2019, 09:41

kandscreeley wrote: ↑
05 Oct 2019, 17:40
This one seems intriguing. I love that the world is built so well, but the numerous lists would drive me crazy. In addition, it's never extremely interesting when the protagonist don't experience any trials. It's too easy. Thanks.
There were a few times I was tempted to skip paragraphs at a time (but didn't, of course!) Thanks for reading my review!

Firefawkes

Post by Firefawkes » 12 Oct 2019, 09:42

HeatherEi wrote: ↑
05 Oct 2019, 19:41
Great review! I love fantasy novels, especially when the magical/mystical system is well thought out.
I find a lot of magical fantasy novels don't have any mention of the origins of magic, so this one was a nice read! Thanks for reading! :)

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 82
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 578
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: The Magician Cat by Hawk Selah
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 14 Oct 2019, 14:03

Protagonists that win all the time are no fun. They need to suffer a few wounds to be relatable and to be called persevering.

However, I can understand why someone surnamed Colon would have a penchant for lists, LOL!

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by Dentarthurdent » 19 Oct 2019, 08:10

Thanks for the thorough review.
I'm glad the author managed to adequately nuance all the characters, despite the common speech patterns.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”