Official Review: A Pinnacle Crisis by C.K. Stevens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 61
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 830
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Official Review: A Pinnacle Crisis by C.K. Stevens

Post by CataclysmicKnight » 01 Oct 2019, 17:45

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Pinnacle Crisis" by C.K. Stevens.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Three worlds full of life lie in another part of our universe. Celestial Prime and Pleiades Prime live in peace with one another, but Apophis Prime is a world where the strongest rule only as long as they can survive. One fateful day, an object crashes down on Pleiades Prime. After the dust settles, the object is discovered to be a living person! This person would put Superman to shame with his slew of powers, but he doesn't know who he is or how he got there except that he "flew there." Soon, this mysterious man has to put his newfound powers to use as an assault from Apophis Prime threatens the galaxy.

Meanwhile, this mysterious superhero realizes that he's part of a prophecy from Celestial Prime's holy scriptures. Not only that, his powers come from one of the first pieces of matter created by the big bang, the blue heart stone. This heart stone has an equally powerful opposite, the red heart stone, and it's about to choose a host of its own.

I'm a huge fan of superhero books, especially origin stories, and that's exactly what A Pinnacle Crisis: Book One Revelation of the Heart Stones is. Within this short 67-page book, readers are given the origin story of Eternal (the mysterious superhero), a look at a trio of planets, and an epic confrontation between them.

Unfortunately, this "origin story" is the biggest disappointment of the book. Good origin stories allow readers to spend some time with the hero before they get their powers. This encourages readers to truly care about them as a person before their abilities are given to them. They may seem confused, overwhelmed, scared, and/or tempted to use these abilities for evil instead of good. But then there's a call to action, a reason for them to put their own life at risk, often against a villain that's their equal or far more powerful than them. In A Pinnacle Crisis: Book One, none of this is successfully pulled off. Eternal is so powerful that I can't think of a single force that would stand a chance against him. We get approximately 5 pages about his life before he gains his powers in a flashback, but it's not enough to make me relate to him. And while he didn't fully grasp how powerful he was initially, he was still an unstoppable force from the second he left the crater that he landed in.

Then there's the writing. I came across 32 grammatical errors throughout the book. On top of that, numerous phrases were worded so poorly that I had to re-read them to figure out what was being said. The descriptiveness was terrific sometimes, particularly in battle scenes, but other times it was confusing or just dull. On the bright side, the handful of brutal death and torture scenes aren't described in depth. Some of the foundational information that we're given is contradicted throughout the story, and some events seem incredibly out of place as if they happen solely to show off the hero's strength or continue the plot. But worst of all, the book is far too short. 67 pages aren't anywhere near enough to do this story justice, and almost everything in the book feels like it's in fast forward.

I really wanted to like C. K. Stevens' A Pinnacle Crisis: Book One. With a lot of polish and at least another 50-100 pages, this could've been a superb introduction to Stevens' world. As it stands, I'd only recommend it to the biggest superhero fans, especially those who enjoy a bit of spirituality in their books. While "God" is mentioned, it's not any specific God, and this theme is used in small enough doses that it shouldn't affect anyone aside from the most anti-religious and the most touchy about "blasphemy." Also, while the most "erotic" the content gets is some kissing and the most profane word I found was "hell," I still wouldn't recommend the book to anyone under 13 because of the handful of grotesque scenes. My rating of the book is 2 out of 4 stars.

A Pinnacle Crisis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Rachel Lea » 05 Oct 2019, 04:51

The initial idea for this book is quite interesting and I think it has potential. It's unfortunate that the author struggled with the execution. Thank you for your honest review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: F in Exams
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 05 Oct 2019, 13:06

Huh. It reminds me of the Infinity Stones and how they grant the wielders certain powers. This premise is cool on its own but I definitely agree with you that it sounds like it needs at least another 50-100 pages. It's too short for a good origin story outside of the comic book medium.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

MrunalT
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by MrunalT » 08 Oct 2019, 08:46

I am not a fan of superhero books, especially if they have spiritual content. This doesn’t look like a book I would want to read
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: A Dragon’s Flame by Mercedese Jeffries

Post by esp1975 » 09 Oct 2019, 11:24

Almost sounds like someone had a script for a comic book and couldn't find a good artist to carry it out, so they decided to make it a book. I agree that at 67 pages the story needs to be tight and focused. It doesn't sound like that's the case here.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”