Official Review: Steele Chronicles: Colony Crisis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ViziVoir
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 220
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 300
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vizivoir.html
Latest Review: Journey to the Andromeda Galaxy by Steve Kristensen

Official Review: Steele Chronicles: Colony Crisis

Post by ViziVoir » 29 Sep 2019, 16:07

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Steele Chronicles: Colony Crisis" by Andrew Utsogn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Steele Chronicles: Colony Crisis by Andrew Utsogn is a science fiction adventure that spans several disparate storylines. One of them focuses on Carl, a xeno wrangler and former marine who gets tangled up in the plans of some very powerful people. Another is about Tatyana, a runaway with a mysterious data chip entrusted to her by her father. Finally, there's a depiction of a reptilian alien species' last stand against their mortal enemies, the Kluj.

I wasn't really sure what to make of this book's worldbuilding. The human cultures in this book are nearly identical to their current Earth counterparts, and ultimately, I don't think the core tenets of the story would have changed much at all if it had merely taken place on present-day Earth. The characters even line up with action tropes: Carl is the prototypical violent ex-military hero, while Tatyana is a nearly perpetual damsel in distress. It was certainly out of the ordinary for a science fiction book, but whether this is good or bad depends on your personal preferences.

With that said, as an action story, this book holds up quite well. The fight scenes are numerous without becoming repetitive or stale, and the sense of tension is carried through quite well despite the frequent shifts in perspective. It was certainly satisfying to watch Carl take out ever-increasing numbers of people. The writing style itself is unobtrusive, though I did catch a handful of typos, mostly pertaining to punctuation.

The biggest weakness of this book is that it is very difficult to follow. The three storylines don't really have much to do with each other at all, and while I'm sure they will connect more in future books, it makes this book feel like it's incomplete at best. Tatyana's story, though it was my favorite, consisted almost entirely of things just happening to her, without much real agency on her part. This made the narrative feel disjointed and unwieldy.

At the end of the day, while I would be more comfortable with a rating of 2.5 out of 4 stars, I think this book still deserves 3 out of 4 stars. It's a good read if you enjoy action books with science fiction elements, though it might be worth waiting until more books in the series are out, as I expect the narrative threads will be tied together more satisfactorily in later books. If you like science fiction books for their creative worldbuilding and scientific lore, this book probably isn't for you.

Steele Chronicles: Colony Crisis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Meg98 » 03 Oct 2019, 10:24

I'm not sure I would enjoy this book, but it does sound interesting. Thanks for your great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: A Dragon’s Flame by Mercedese Jeffries

Post by esp1975 » 03 Oct 2019, 16:25

I think the Tatyana storyline would drive me crazy. I'm not a fan of damsels in distress, and certainly of characters not having agency.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Jim in Enemy Territory by Le Lan Anh

Post by kdstrack » 03 Oct 2019, 19:05

This would be a frustrating read. The different storylines and the confusing setting would make me lose interest. I appreciate your insights about this book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”