Review by reneelu1998 -- Last Another Day

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
reneelu1998
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 132
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book Four by Timothy P. Callahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by reneelu1998 -- Last Another Day

Post by reneelu1998 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Last Another Day" by Baileigh Higgins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins is an enthralling, fast-paced, and unpredictable dystopian novel that will leave you heartbroken. The story starts on the first day that a horrible infection has spread across the world like a virus, turning innocent men, women, and children into resurrected zombies. They seek human flesh and the only way to kill them is a clean shot to the head. This book follows a large assortment of characters, all with detailed backgrounds, desires, and fears. Each must face the cruel, apocalyptic reality while trying to survive.

Some main characters that are worth discussing are Morgan, Logan, and Max. Logan is a quiet, tough, loner type who prefers to work alone and doesn’t immediately believe what he has heard on the news about the infection. He picks up Max, a resourceful, soldier gone AWOL in order to find his family, off the side of the road and they create a shelter in an abandoned riot police quarters. Slowly, they find more survivors and bring them in. Morgan is Max’s sister. She is strong, bold, and relatable. She must face the loss of her old life and relationships while trying to move on and survive in the infectious, harrowing world. All the characters in this book feel very authentic.

My favorite aspect about this book is the realistic dialogue. For me, when the dialogue is smooth and well-crafted, the story really advances to the next level. I do have to warn some readers, some of the content is very heavy. Many of the scenes are graphically violent. But, I found it to be appropriate for the setting and not unnecessarily gruesome. Some of the scenes will tug at the reader's heartstrings and seem to be unfair. I think this is what makes the book so phenomenal. This is not a book that is easy to forget about.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of reasons mentioned earlier and because of the masterful descriptions of events and action. I only noticed one misspelled word in the whole book, so I would consider this book to be professionally edited.

I would recommend this book to readers who love dystopian novels, especially ones that involve apocalyptic situations. This book vaguely reminded me of I Am Legend, but better. I would not readily recommend this book to younger readers because of the graphic descriptions of killing and injuries. There is also some sexual content. There is also lots of strong language. For these reasons, I would consider this a novel for adults.

Last Another Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”