Please tell me your favorite Fantasy Author

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
VWheeler
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vwheeler.html

Re: Please tell me your favorite Fantasy Author

Post by VWheeler »

Ooh, this thread started off great with Neil Gaiman. I also really like Tad Williams. He can be just as dark and charming as Gaiman, but he writes mostly series.
TalaJoan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talajoan.html

Post by TalaJoan »

I would say J.K. Rowling is my favorite fantasy author as I love how her books are loved by so many different people in different age groups or backgrounds. The attention to detail is unbelievable, and I am always amazed that how she connects things back to each other and there is so much meaning to little aspects.
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

My favorite fantasy author is Jo Clayton, author of the Skeen's Leap series. Technically, this series would fall into the sci-fi/fantasy genre.
Jo Clayton was rather prone to prolifically staging the world's being portrayed. Some readers found that her tirelessly detailed descriptions only bogged them down, however I found her work to be inspired. All these years later, and even with the author's passing, I'm still a huge fan.

-- 20 Nov 2016, 15:28 --

Jo Clayton, author of Skeen's Leap.
Karkey98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karkey98.html

Post by Karkey98 »

I personally love Brandon Mull. He wrote Fablehaven and Beyonders.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

Definitely Tolkein and Rowling.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
arcadia-jones

Post by arcadia-jones »

My all-time favorite fantasy author is R.A. Salvatore, particularly his Drizzt Do'Urden series. Started reading them when I was quite young, and still love them. He excels at writing combat scenes, in particular.

Currently, I've been dabbling in the fantasy realm of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive and Mistborn trilogy. The former is excellent, but it does take some time to adjust to the amount of world-building he does; the latter is not as good, but I still enjoyed the read.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Jk Rowling, Rick Riordan, Brandon Sanderson and Patrick Rothfuss.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

Neil Gaiman, hands down.
I'm also very fond of Terry Pratchett.

But for a certain guilty pleasure, I still like Peirs Anthony's Xanth series... so many puns...
M1oreilly

Post by M1oreilly »

Even though his last few books in the Sword of Truth series weren't nearly the same caliber as the original books, I've been a big fan of Terry Goodkind for quite a few years.

Someone I highly recommend would be Brent Weeks, either his completed Night Angel Trilogy or his currently ongoing Lightbringer Series.

Another author would be Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards Series, which is one of the best works of world building and character development I've ever seen. The series is also extremely humorous while making good work touching upon a lot of moral grey areas and confronting the ideas of 'right vs. wrong'.
SESasaki

Post by SESasaki »

Choosing my favourite Fantasy author is difficult as there are so many good ones to choose from. If I have to pick only one, it is ROGER ZELAZNY, a remarkable author who has sadly passed away. His writing was sublime, his stories memorable, and his imagery describing his worlds second to none. He could write humour, suspense, romance, and tragedy equally well and combine them all within the same short story or book. His talent is sorely missed and I have yet to find another author who awes me to the same degree. The Amber series for fantasy. Lord of Light for Science fiction. Enjoy!
PolarTee
Currently Reading: Flashfall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polartee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by PolarTee »

My favorite fantasy author is Brandon Sanderson. His Mistborn trilogy is the best trilogy I have ever read!
kaver22

Post by kaver22 »

Gaiman is definitely high on the list. Robin McKinley (Sunshine) and Anne Bishop (the Ephemera trilogy). Also, S.M. Stirling and Tim Lebbon (Dusk and Dawn).

My all-time favorite, however, is Jacqueline Carey! There are two of her books that I haven't read yet (one isn't coming out until next month). She's amazing!
nightnurse
Currently Reading: The Last Humans: Oasis
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nightnurse.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by nightnurse »

Bell Forrest it started with her Series "A Shade of a Vampire" now with 38 in the series # 39 do out on Jan 31. Now she has expanded to Sci-Fi and Murder mystery Also Series A Gender Game (3 number 4 do out in Feb.)
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
DocPower
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-docpower.html

Post by DocPower »

For the past 15yrs my favourite Fantasy author has been Robin Hobb.

After Hobb it'd have to be J. K. Rowling. A typical answer I know... but her books are GOOD.
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

Favorite urban fantasy authors: Jim Butcher, Kevin Hearne, Jeaniene Frost, Kim Harrison, Richard Kadrey, Stephen Blackmoore, R.L. King, Phaedra Weldon...and that's just for starters. ;)

-- 03 Mar 2017, 12:17 --
kaver22 wrote:Gaiman is definitely high on the list. Robin McKinley (Sunshine) and Anne Bishop (the Ephemera trilogy). Also, S.M. Stirling and Tim Lebbon (Dusk and Dawn).

My all-time favorite, however, is Jacqueline Carey! There are two of her books that I haven't read yet (one isn't coming out until next month). She's amazing!
I agree, Jacqueline Carey writes some excellent novels! I enjoyed Kushiel a lot.
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”