Please tell me your favorite Fantasy Author

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Re: Please tell me your favorite Fantasy Author

Post by uyky »

For me that would be Tolkien, Robin Hobb, I love C.S. Lewis (Narnia) and Lyman Frank Baum(the land of Oz, Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials). Also Ursula K Le Guin, Rowling, Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl), Pratchett and Douglas Adams. But there are so many more.
Doxiedoc12
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doxiedoc12.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Doxiedoc12 »

Its hard to pick just one! Of course, I love CS Lewis, JK Rowling, and Christopher Paolini. I retread their books every year. I have also found Chandra Hahn (Unfortunate Fairytales Series) and WJ May on Amazon. I have enjoyed reading their books.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Terry Pratchett
Neil Gaiman
Brandon Sanderson
J. R. R. Tolkein
Patrick Rothfuss
Orson Scott Card
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

A. Merritt was one of my earliest favorites. His fondness for adjectives can made the novels drag on, unless you read them out loud, but the short stories are, in my opinion, better than Lovecraft. Ursula Le Guin, Jim Butcher, C.J. Cherryh, and Greg Bear are on my permanent shelf as well. I wrote my first fan letter to Isaac Asimov in the early 1970s so he's also on the list of favorites. Upon reflection, there is an army of favorite writers feeding my book addiction.
S_Mulla
Currently Reading: Tarnished
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mulla.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by S_Mulla »

James Patterson... His Maximum Ride Series and Witch and Wizard Series are the best Fantasy books I have come across.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 19 Jul 2017, 06:16 Ursula Le Guin: she builds worlds beautifully and her themes are very profound. "The Dispossessed" is one of my favourite books ever.
Yes, she is excellent and The Dispossessed is one of the best, though I also like The Left Hand of Darkness - seems to me that that was the one that got most mentions in the recent obituaries.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I've got so many authors that I love but the one author that I know I will just adore any book he writes is Brandon Sanderson. His world building is brilliant and so believable that you just fall right into the story. I'm on the second to last book of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and am dreading the end to the series. I want it to keep on going...
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Ameesa
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Ameesa »

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series
Brandon Sanderson - Anything in his Cosmere
Lewis Carroll - Alice books
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter series
J.R.R. Tolkien
Tad Williams
Stephen R. Donaldson
John Varley
Mercedes Lackey
Megan Elizabeth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Megan Elizabeth »

Fantasy has many elements that can be brought to life, if the story is told by the correct person. My personal favorite fantasy author, currently, is Sara J. Maas. She has a few series out and she has a wonderfully open view to how she thinks. Her books are based typically about Fae, or faries. There is also a lot of romance and the morals of Maas's books are usually relevant to life, though they are fantasy.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Foe me, nobody will ever surpass C.S. Lewis.
I can’t pass an empty room with a wardrobe in it without taking a peek inside.

Terry Pratchett’s disc world novels are absolutely wonderful too.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

Right now my favourite is Scott Lynch, author of the Gentlemen Bastards series. He managed to create such a well rounded and logical world despite the illogical, but what really makes the series what it is is the characters. The way the main characters interact together creates some of the best dialogue I've ever read, as well as some of the most creative curses!
Ojosazulesma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ojosazulesma »

I was drawn to the YA Fantasy genre as a teenager reading the Xanth Novel series by Piers Anthony. I thought my taste in literature had changed through the years until my daughter traduce introduce me to PC Cast through the Vampire Academy series. I truly thoroughly enjoy reading young adult fantasy series books. I am currently looking for my next new YA Fantasy adventure series
tevinamunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by tevinamunga »

I'm more of a sci- fi guy and J.K, Rowling's work on the harry potter sequel is just but amazing... a feeling of another mystical world that feels so real
JMethot
Currently Reading: Oboemotions
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmethot.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by JMethot »

How does one choose only one favorite? Of course J.R.R. Tolkien would top the list. I've read most of Jim Butcher's Dresden books, and I've just read the Furies of Calderon. Excellent writing, a very new magic system, and danger for the heroes! I enjoyed the Magic Kingdom for Sale series by Brooks; it's a delightful mix of modern and fantasy. The Kelley Armstrong novels are fun, full of mystery and sometimes steamy; good for a rainy weekend. I'm STILL waiting for the next book in Game of Thrones; the TV shows have passed by the books. In all, I mostly want a fantasy world where the heroes are in danger, but manage to win the day, especially with a surprise or two. Recently I've read Desert Rising in which the big cats choose partners among humans to work magic. I found the premise very well done.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Tough choices. Anne McCaffery is just about a classic in my mind, just a tremendous amount of solid works in her dragon series. I read them young and they still hold clear in my memory. Tolkien of course. Robert Jordon's Wheel series I am halfway through, and already he tops my list. Rowling's Harry Potter series is just fantastic. Dick I recently discovered in written form, he is truely amazing, though I consider him more on the Scifi side of things. Douglas Adams too, best writing, but I think Scifi. I have to include Orson Scott Card since he did move into fantasy with Enchantment, not my favorite of his books, but it was rather good. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, which everyone calls Game of Thrones after the first book, is, I gotta say, pretty darn incredible, though it too, I am only four books into. It's just so darn gruesome though, but that IS the story and not thrown in totally for shock value. Garon Whited is quickly becoming a favorite, thanks to this bookclub for the discovery, he has a fun fresh take on fantasy. Oh and let's not forget Anne Rice, though I tend to think of her work as Erotica. Stephen King as well, his works ARE fantasy, though creepy as can be.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”