Please tell me your favorite Fantasy Author

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

Re: Please tell me your favorite Fantasy Author

Post by scquarantillo »

My favorite fantasy author is hands down Rachel Vincent. Her Shifters series changed my life! Her characters are so well developed and likeable. If you have not read this series I urge you to do so, and fast! It will suck you in and you won't be able to put it down. Her writing style is very creative and descriptive. Everything she writes is amazing! She also has a new series coming out in Feb called Wildcats series...it's the Shifters series spinoff!
michelewhite0068
Favorite Author: Robert McCammon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 88">Doctor Sleep</a>
Currently Reading: 11.22.63
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelewhite0068.html
fav_author_id: 2690

Post by michelewhite0068 »

Orson scott card and his seventh son series. Robert Jordan, L. Ron Hubbard, J.R.R. Tolkien, and harlan ellison
A book is a gift you can open again and again--anonymous
starcrunch61
Favorite Author: Robin McKinley
Favorite Book: I really cant say
Currently Reading: The Wise Mans Fear
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starcrunch61.html
fav_author_id: 6333

Post by starcrunch61 »

Fantasy has so many different avenues with twist and turns. Since this is the case I have a fave author for each different type. I love all the top fantasy authors out there. They all have there different styles that keep me entertained. My favorite fantasy author I believe would be Robin McKinley. Her stories are so inspiring and full of such unique ways of looking at things. I love every book she writes. I'm awaiting for the second part of Pegasus at this time. But since people seem to like vampires, she has one and its so strange that I read it several times.

-- 13 Feb 2015, 12:18 --

Since reading all the posts I have decided to put a few more of my favorites out there. Such as Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, Patrick Rothfuss, Jim Butcher, Glenn Thater, Edward Robertson and Brent Weeks.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

starcrunch61 wrote:Fantasy has so many different avenues with twist and turns. Since this is the case I have a fave author for each different type. I love all the top fantasy authors out there. They all have there different styles that keep me entertained. My favorite fantasy author I believe would be Robin McKinley. Her stories are so inspiring and full of such unique ways of looking at things. I love every book she writes. I'm awaiting for the second part of Pegasus at this time. But since people seem to like vampires, she has one and its so strange that I read it several times.

-- 13 Feb 2015, 12:18 --

Since reading all the posts I have decided to put a few more of my favorites out there. Such as Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, Patrick Rothfuss, Jim Butcher, Glenn Thater, Edward Robertson and Brent Weeks.

I used to read the Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley over and over as a child. I loved that book. I did not realize that she had so many other published works!
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
NellySites
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Iron Kissed
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nellysites.html
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by NellySites »

I read so much fantasy that it is extremely difficult to choose just one, however, right now there are 2 authors tied for my top spot Cheree Alsop and Patricia Briggs. Though, C.L. Stone and Jennifer Armentrout are on the top of my list as well. Others that I like are:
Kelley Armstrong
Tammy Blackwell
Chris Cannon
Cassandra Clare
Jennifer Estep
Claire Ferrell
Marissa Meyer
Dawn Chandler
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8954">The Dark Lady</a>
Currently Reading: Potent Pleasures
Bookshelf Size: 578
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Dawn Chandler »

Terry Brooks
Piers Anthony
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

Brandon Mull, The Fablehaven Series. More for like teens, I read it to make sure it would be appropriate for my 11 year old. I enjoyed it and she loves it! Rick Riordian, The Percy Jackson series is also another favorite out our house. If you're into vampires then Jeaniene Frost tops my list. She has several different series and her writing style is great, I always get a good laugh when reading her books.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

ejcogan wrote:Brandon Mull, The Fablehaven Series. More for like teens, I read it to make sure it would be appropriate for my 11 year old. I enjoyed it and she loves it! Rick Riordian, The Percy Jackson series is also another favorite out our house. If you're into vampires then Jeaniene Frost tops my list. She has several different series and her writing style is great, I always get a good laugh when reading her books.
I have read those books (The Fablehaven, The Percy Jackson) and liked it. Great books for teens indeed.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

I almost always read books in advance if I'm considering a book for my daughter and have found some great reads that I probably would have never considered. Brandon Mull also did another series with some other authors called Spirit Animals which is also really good. The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins was interesting as well. Erin Hunter is another good author, I didn't read the entire Warrior Cats series, I read the first couple and then let my daughter take over, she couldn't stop reading them. I love that my daughter loves to read!
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
starcrunch61
Favorite Author: Robin McKinley
Favorite Book: I really cant say
Currently Reading: The Wise Mans Fear
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starcrunch61.html
fav_author_id: 6333

Post by starcrunch61 »

ejcogan wrote:I almost always read books in advance if I'm considering a book for my daughter and have found some great reads that I probably would have never considered. Brandon Mull also did another series with some other authors called Spirit Animals which is also really good. The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins was interesting as well. Erin Hunter is another good author, I didn't read the entire Warrior Cats series, I read the first couple and then let my daughter take over, she couldn't stop reading them. I love that my daughter loves to read!
I was just going to say that Inkheart is an amazing book for kids. I'm not sure old she is but I'm 34 and loving it. Its for a fifth grade level I believe though.
LibbiM
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libbim.html

Post by LibbiM »

Clearly, it is impossible to pick just one. Or two. So I can't, won't, don't.

Anne Bishop
Jacqueline Carey
Naomi Novik
Michael Crichton
Terry Pratchett
Jim Butcher
Jim C. Hines
Margaret Weis/Tracy Hickman
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

Hmmm....Charlaine Harris and Brent Weeks.
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
glassfable5
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glassfable5.html

Post by glassfable5 »

My favorite fantasy author is J. K. Rowling, hands down. She is amazing. I can't wait for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them--she's writing the screenplays for the movie trilogy! I'm incredibly excited for this. However, I would like her to return to the wizarding world in book form too. I'm hoping that she will eventually write a series about the Marauders. I'll even take a book on the Hogwarts Founders.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

My absolute favorite fantasy author is Anne Bishop. I drop whatever book I am reading when her new book comes out and immediately dive into the novel.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
claire13berger
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by claire13berger »

Deborah Harkness is a great modern fantasy author.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”