Official Review: Epiphany by Sonya Deanna Terry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Heart of anger
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Cyber Dead or Alive by RL Blaisdell

Official Review: Epiphany by Sonya Deanna Terry

Post by greenstripedgiraffe » 06 Sep 2019, 10:02

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Epiphany" by Sonya Deanna Terry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Navigating between a time before history and modern now, Epiphany by Sonya Deanna Terry is a story of epic proportions. Written in two parts, the first part takes the reader through the "true history" of the world. In this fantastical history, the world's economy went from being based on a currency of kindness to a time of greed and hoarding of gold. Part two describes the process of general healing as well as returning to the economy of kindness.

I found the premise of this book to be intriguing, which is why I originally picked it up. The author includes elements to please nearly anyone. Fantasy elements include elves, sprites, talking woodland animals, and more; while the more realistic elements uncover what would be the greatest conspiracy theory of all time. The author definitely delivered on both these accounts. As a bonus, the author depicts characters that are both believable and relatable. However, while the interactions between characters are definitely plausible, one must stretch the imagination a little to believe how each character is related to the others. "Couples," that is, husbands and wives, are all interconnected with other couples. After a while, this became a bit mind-boggling as I juggled who each character was and how they were connected to all the other characters.

Throughout both parts of the book, the reader is taken back and forth between ancient and modern times via a "fiction" book written in the 1700's by a man named Edward Lillibridge. A modern day book club regularly gathers to discuss Our True and Ancient History. As time goes on, this book club begins believing that the book is not actually fiction, but is, in fact, true. Over time, they also discover that they and their acquaintances are actually reincarnated versions of characters in the book they meet to discuss. While this could be fairly unbelievable, the author does a great job of tying up all the potential loose ends.

I felt that the well-developed characters were the strongest point of the author's writing. The weakest part of her writing was the sheer size and length of this book. While everything in the book definitely related to the plot, there was just so much material that I started to wonder what could be cut out. At times I found the book to be so exciting I could hardly turn the pages quickly enough. Other times, I felt the story was dragging, and I would put it down to gather enough mental energy to work at it again later.

While I definitely appreciated the main theme of a return to kindness as an overall currency instead of a gold standard, I felt some of this strained credibility. Essentially, it gave a somewhat expanded and alternate version to the biblical narrative. The alternate story was so radical that the 1700's church fathers declared the man exposing the modern currency to be a heretic! You will have to read it yourself to discover why...

The book itself was edited exceptionally well. Also, there is no profanity or adult intimacy that would hinder this book from being recommended to a wide audience. The sheer length would be the greatest hindrance to anyone's general enjoyment, so I would not recommend that a young reader pick up the book. Regardless of whether or not you are ready to suspend belief long enough to to enjoy this book, I feel that there is definitely enough philosophy about money, greed, jealousy, and lack, etc., on which any thoughtful reader could ponder for days. I am going to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. One star is taken away due to the uneven pace and the extreme length, both of which make the book somewhat difficult to finish. I can't take away any more stars, because the book certainly has merit on many accounts. Brilliant characters, a complex and believable plot, and plenty of takeaway points all contribute to my overall recommendation of this book to a wide audience with only a small caveat.

Epiphany
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase

kendallcurrier
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendallcurrier.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by kendallcurrier » 08 Sep 2019, 01:29

Just how long is this book? The concept seems so intriguing. I love alternate histories, fantasy, and critiques on greed and money, so I'm finding myself drooling over your review. I'd definitely like to get my hands on a copy of this book and see what I think as well.

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Spellbound by Julia Goldhirsh

Post by esp1975 » 08 Sep 2019, 23:33

Alright, now I am wondering how long this book is. I made it through Stephenson's Cryptonomicon which is a very long book that deals a lot with cryptography, crypto-currency, and theories about how money can be used for good or ill. This sounds like an interesting book for people who do have an interest in economic theory and perhaps a new way of looking at the world.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 87
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Shelf by David K. DeRemer

Post by kdstrack » 11 Sep 2019, 20:01

The greatest conspiracy theory of all time is quite a claim! The alternating time periods and the different types of characters really sounds intriguing. You have piqued my interest. Thanks for the fascinating review.

Lindsey Klaus
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus » 12 Sep 2019, 01:00

I honestly love reincarnation stories. It's something I play with in my writing, too. This sounds like a really fun story. I don't find length to be a hindrance; a lot of the time, it gives characters time to breathe and develop, which is nice (not always, of course). Thanks for your review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”