Official Review: The First of The Boardwalk Parades

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: World Railway Accidents 1811-1880 by Francis Voisey

Official Review: The First of The Boardwalk Parades

Post by mmm17 » 17 Aug 2019, 08:40

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The First of The Boardwalk Parades" by B. C. Battle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who is Joshua Hill? Is he a pragmatic American detective who works in Paris? Or is he Connor Shaw – the passionate American adventurer and archeologist who disappeared in South America? Is he a brave hero with supernatural abilities or a mentally disturbed murderer with suppressed memories? These questions lure readers into the plot of The First of the Boardwalk Parades, a science-fiction/fantasy novel written by B.C. Battle.

The book begins with Joshua having to flee Paris because he was framed for murder by a mysterious man wearing “a high-end plastic yellow rain poncho.” He finds solace in the idyllic and magical village of Val-ashoth, under the protection of a witch named Elizabeth. But he wants “revenge for his diaspora,” and goes back to the real world in search of answers and justice.

The strength of this novel is its myriad of layered characters, fuzzy identities, and enigmatic worlds. In the book’s alternate timeline, George Washington got murdered during the American Revolution, and the US remained a British colony. Napoleon conquered most of Europe, and his generals – called barons – were put in charge of most of the European dominions. Also, the British Isles disappeared after massive storms, and a deadly virus decimated most of Africa, China, and India, which are referred to as wastelands. France and Russia are the world’s political and technological superpowers; they are rivals who observe each other’s every move.

The author’s writing style is vibrant and gripping, and he skillfully constructs settings that are imaginative and unique, using elements from history, mythology, and science. He creatively mixes swords, humanoids, beasts, avatars, demons, airships, and titans. I particularly liked the part where Joshua travels to Russia with the Marquis de Lafayette (yes, akin to the historical figure), as well as the depiction of LeCeleste – the floating city.

I enjoyed the book’s language; it is elegant, poetic, and full of symbolism and metaphors. Each chapter has a one-word title beginning with the letter r, such as rescue, ramshackle, ravage, reverie, and requital. Above all, in this tightly spun yarn full of engaging twists and turns, Joshua undergoes an almost Kafkian metamorphosis, and the ending is pleasantly surprising. But no spoilers are allowed!

Lastly, I rate The First of the Boardwalk Parades 3 out of 4 stars. The book is not in its most polished form; another round of editing is necessary. If it weren’t for this, I would surely give it the maximum score. It will certainly appeal to readers who enjoy fantasy sagas with a touch of science fiction. In my opinion, only those who are not fond of the genre might not like this book.

The First of The Boardwalk Parades
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Beneath the Muscle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Rachel Lea » 20 Aug 2019, 04:48

This sounds like a very interesting novel with a unique and captivating setting (as a side note, I love how you began your review by asking questions--it really drew me in as a reader). Scifi/fantasy stories that explore alternate timelines always fascinate me. Thank you for your engaging review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Nyambura Githui » 20 Aug 2019, 11:34

The book sounds very intriguing. Battle seems to have done a really good job at it. I like the intro to your review, it's so captivating.

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Spellbound by Julia Goldhirsh

Post by esp1975 » 20 Aug 2019, 15:57

I love it when author's are great at language. It's my favorite aspect of Jonathan Barnes's writing. This definitely sounds like something I would like.

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 20 Aug 2019, 17:42

Rachel Lea wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 04:48
This sounds like a very interesting novel with a unique and captivating setting (as a side note, I love how you began your review by asking questions--it really drew me in as a reader). Scifi/fantasy stories that explore alternate timelines always fascinate me. Thank you for your engaging review!
Thank you for reading the review. I appreciate your kind words.

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 20 Aug 2019, 17:43

Nyambura Githui wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 11:34
The book sounds very intriguing. Battle seems to have done a really good job at it. I like the intro to your review, it's so captivating.
Thank you! The book is intriguing, indeed.

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 20 Aug 2019, 17:44

esp1975 wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 15:57
I love it when author's are great at language. It's my favorite aspect of Jonathan Barnes's writing. This definitely sounds like something I would like.
Yes, I agree! I'm also fascinated by an elegant use of language in a book. Thank you for commenting.

Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading: Dark Water
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by Kathleen Wolfe » 20 Aug 2019, 21:20

I love fantasy. The story line is very interesting, but I'm confused, does the main character have a multiple personality disorder or does he have amnesia? I like that the book seems to have a bit of mystery to it, and I like the way you began your review. Thank you for a well written, thought provoking review.

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: F in Exams
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Daughter of Athena by A. Rose
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 21 Aug 2019, 03:10

Wait. How is the Marquis alive? Why is he alive?

Also, this sounds like a magical version of The Bourne Identity combined aith Indiana Jones. In other words, amazing.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Wanjugush
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Neigbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush » 21 Aug 2019, 09:17

I'm not a fan of Sci-Fibut this one sounds interesting and it's a thriller. Great review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The mechanism by Alan Whitworth

Post by kdstrack » 22 Aug 2019, 08:19

I was also enthralled by your description of the author's writing style. It feels like you were truly intrigued by the story. Thanks for this amazing recommendation!

OuKoyoo
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo » 22 Aug 2019, 14:19

This sounds like a captivating book. I love the way you described book’s language; "it is elegant, poetic, and full of symbolism and metaphors." I would love to read the book. Thank you for the great review.

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 22 Aug 2019, 17:59

Kathleen Wolfe wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 21:20
The story line is very interesting, but I'm confused, does the main character have a multiple personality disorder or does he have amnesia?
That is actually the suspense of the story! I kept asking myself the same thing. Thanks for commenting!

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 22 Aug 2019, 18:01

Nisha Ward wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 03:10
Wait. How is the Marquis alive? Why is he alive?

Also, this sounds like a magical version of The Bourne Identity combined aith Indiana Jones. In other words, amazing.
He is kind of immortal in this alternate timeline. :o

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Wyland » 23 Aug 2019, 11:33

It will be interesting to read how Joshua deals with being framed with murder. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”