Review by April Ruvs -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
April Ruvs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-april-ruvs.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by April Ruvs -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by April Ruvs »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War in itself can destroy not only places but families as well. We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies, began by introducing us to siblings at war over their fathers land. In this war torn region known as Land of Princes we find Galen an orphan who has inherited his grand- uncle with the same name’s fortune as well as the forging business. This leads him to travel across great waters to his new life in a place known as Voulhire, here he meets Rowan and Demetrius who seem to have a crucial part in his adjusting to a life of splendour from one of squalor.

Elsewhere in Voulhire we meet the King Wilhelm and his chancellor Midius Maido who seems to be more respected by the people than the King. Maido plots against the King using Darius the King’s son as his ally.

Although relatively peaceful, Voulhire is soon to be thrown into mayhem by Meldorath a former friend to the King, who possesses great power due to the magic he practices. The threat he poses will be explored in-depth in the next instalments of the series, as this was an introduction of the characters and a brief history of how they all mesh together.

At first reading the book I felt a little lost but as I progressed I found that I liked the mixture of modern and old in terms of speech, dressing, communication and transportation. The mention and used of psychological terms appealed to me as I am a psychology major myself. Galen’s appreciation of the little things in life namely the not so savoury boat ride was humbling and very likable, as it showed that in life we take so many things for granted. I also liked very much how Mathew Tysz mentioned physics and magic, especially since physics bending was made to look almost supernatural and magical. I also liked some references that felt like the scenes from ‘Harry Potter’, although this to some can seem like a cliché.

However, there was nothing I disliked about the book as there was not much to dislike, the book was relatively short and a fast and easy read. The writing style was quite challenging especially due to the use of what looked like archaic language which could have been mistaken for mistakes. I am awarding this book 4 out of 4 stars due to there being hardly any mistakes and I could not fault anything in the book. I would also recommend that persons into this genre the read the book, as well as those interested in alternate dimensions, the supernatural and magic. I would suggest however that those who are not into olden day was and magic not read this book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Trust the wisdom of your soul it knows the way" unknown

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”