Official Review: Arcadia's Children 2: The Fyfield Planta...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Arcadia's Children 2: The Fyfield Planta...

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Arcadia's Children 2: The Fyfield Plantation" by Andrew R Williams request ZenaLei7.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A sequel to Arcadia’s Children: Samantha’s Revenge, Arcadia’s Children 2: The Fyfield Plantation is a science-fiction novel written by Andrew R. Williams. This action-packed story takes place in a technologically advanced – albeit somewhat dystopian – society on Arcadia, a planet similar to Earth, and its moon Arden, which is practically owned and controlled by a mining company.

At the beginning of the story, the question in the air is if Mick Tarmy (aka Tarleton) and his sidekick Claire Hyndman survived an assassination attempt orchestrated by the evil humanoid Samantha. Alton Mygael, a director at the Minton Mining Company, pretends to cooperate with Samantha because they share a common enemy: The Great Ones – hostile Arcadians profiting from a drug trafficking operation. Readers learn that Tarmy is alive and devising a plan to destroy a secret zuka plantation in the Fyfield Valley; zuka milk is the main ingredient of a powerful street drug that funds the wicked Great Ones. Will Tarmy succeed?

In this thriller’s suspenseful plot, I was constantly on edge and never sure of where loyalties and rivalries truly resided. The author skillfully develops archetypal saga themes such as deception, spying, and treason. I also thought Tarmy's witty personality was cleverly textured. He came across to me as a relatable, compelling main character – someone you root for. His motivation to protect his daughter and friends, as well as their planet, was heart-warming.

The author’s writing style is lively and stimulating, and he constructs an impressive and vividly rendered sci-fi background. Droids, humanoids (aka spettri), air-cars, teleportation devices, and electronic face masks are examples of the advanced props in this novel’s imaginative settings.

Although the book is a sequel, it can be read independently, for the author conveniently presents character details from the first book right at the beginning of this one. I hadn’t read Arcadia’s Children: Samantha’s Revenge, but now that I finished Arcadia’s Children 2, I’m unquestionably curious to read the first book of the series.

In closing, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It is an engaging and pleasurable read, and I have no noteworthy negatives to mention. I did find grammatical errors in it, but they were mostly minor comma issues which did not detract from the enjoyment of the story. Williams’ writing generated a growing interest in me to find out what was going to happen next – culminating in a cliffhanger in the end. I highly recommend this book to readers who are fond of science fiction. In my opinion, only those who don’t enjoy the genre might not like it.

Arcadia's Children 2: The Fyfield Plantation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

If you don't know by now, you'll learn soon enough. I love a good Sci Fi. I'm glad that this sequel could be read as a stand alone. Still, the cliffhanger is always disappointing. I'll have to look into this a bit more. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

It seems like an interesting sequel to an already thrilling series on fighting off evil. Thanks for the interesting review.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Great review. I love how you use examples to show the book's imaginative setting. This sounds like a great read.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 20:46 If you don't know by now, you'll learn soon enough. I love a good Sci Fi. I'm glad that this sequel could be read as a stand alone. Still, the cliffhanger is always disappointing. I'll have to look into this a bit more. Thanks.
Great! I believe you might like this one. I'm not a fan of cliffhangers, either, although I do like them in TV series. Thank you for commenting.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 07:54 Great review. I love how you use examples to show the book's imaginative setting. This sounds like a great read.
Thank you for your kind comments.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love authors that hook you with a standalone and convince your to search out the first book of the series and wait anxiously for the next installment. Your description makes it seem like this author has hit all the bases to make this an intriguing series. Thanks for the recommendation!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I always appreciate when a book of a series can be read as a stand alone :) The plot sounds to be intriguing, I would give this one a try. Thank you for a great review!
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

A great review. I dont like sci/fi books. But this book seems quite interesting and exciting . A book i look foward o reading
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This sounds like one of those books that'd make for a great popcorn movie. The plot to stop the Great Ones by destroying the zuka fields must be quite exciting too if it kept your interest.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

This sounds like a really heavily character-driven story, which I love. Strong female protagonist, evil humanoids, and humanitarian themes - I like it. :lol: Thanks for your review!
Khalayi254
Currently Reading: Kiss of Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khalayi254.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Khalayi254 »

I have read a couple of books that included a mystical Arcadia in their storyline and from this review I'm hoping this one is as good as it sounds considering the perfect score given.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”