Official Review: Arcadia's Children 2: The Fyfield Planta...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Killing History by L.K. Samuels

Official Review: Arcadia's Children 2: The Fyfield Planta...

Post by mmm17 » 02 Aug 2019, 18:08

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Arcadia's Children 2: The Fyfield Plantation" by Andrew R Williams request ZenaLei7.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A sequel to Arcadia’s Children: Samantha’s Revenge, Arcadia’s Children 2: The Fyfield Plantation is a science-fiction novel written by Andrew R. Williams. This action-packed story takes place in a technologically advanced – albeit somewhat dystopian – society on Arcadia, a planet similar to Earth, and its moon Arden, which is practically owned and controlled by a mining company.

At the beginning of the story, the question in the air is if Mick Tarmy (aka Tarleton) and his sidekick Claire Hyndman survived an assassination attempt orchestrated by the evil humanoid Samantha. Alton Mygael, a director at the Minton Mining Company, pretends to cooperate with Samantha because they share a common enemy: The Great Ones – hostile Arcadians profiting from a drug trafficking operation. Readers learn that Tarmy is alive and devising a plan to destroy a secret zuka plantation in the Fyfield Valley; zuka milk is the main ingredient of a powerful street drug that funds the wicked Great Ones. Will Tarmy succeed?

In this thriller’s suspenseful plot, I was constantly on edge and never sure of where loyalties and rivalries truly resided. The author skillfully develops archetypal saga themes such as deception, spying, and treason. I also thought Tarmy's witty personality was cleverly textured. He came across to me as a relatable, compelling main character – someone you root for. His motivation to protect his daughter and friends, as well as their planet, was heart-warming.

The author’s writing style is lively and stimulating, and he constructs an impressive and vividly rendered sci-fi background. Droids, humanoids (aka spettri), air-cars, teleportation devices, and electronic face masks are examples of the advanced props in this novel’s imaginative settings.

Although the book is a sequel, it can be read independently, for the author conveniently presents character details from the first book right at the beginning of this one. I hadn’t read Arcadia’s Children: Samantha’s Revenge, but now that I finished Arcadia’s Children 2, I’m unquestionably curious to read the first book of the series.

In closing, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It is an engaging and pleasurable read, and I have no noteworthy negatives to mention. I did find grammatical errors in it, but they were mostly minor comma issues which did not detract from the enjoyment of the story. Williams’ writing generated a growing interest in me to find out what was going to happen next – culminating in a cliffhanger in the end. I highly recommend this book to readers who are fond of science fiction. In my opinion, only those who don’t enjoy the genre might not like it.

Arcadia's Children 2: The Fyfield Plantation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Aug 2019, 20:46

If you don't know by now, you'll learn soon enough. I love a good Sci Fi. I'm glad that this sequel could be read as a stand alone. Still, the cliffhanger is always disappointing. I'll have to look into this a bit more. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Importance of Soft Skills For Global Managers by Samanthani Singh

Post by Wyland » 06 Aug 2019, 05:59

It seems like an interesting sequel to an already thrilling series on fighting off evil. Thanks for the interesting review.

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Dentarthurdent » 06 Aug 2019, 07:54

Great review. I love how you use examples to show the book's imaginative setting. This sounds like a great read.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 06 Aug 2019, 12:22

kandscreeley wrote: ↑
05 Aug 2019, 20:46
If you don't know by now, you'll learn soon enough. I love a good Sci Fi. I'm glad that this sequel could be read as a stand alone. Still, the cliffhanger is always disappointing. I'll have to look into this a bit more. Thanks.
Great! I believe you might like this one. I'm not a fan of cliffhangers, either, although I do like them in TV series. Thank you for commenting.

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 06 Aug 2019, 12:23

Dentarthurdent wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2019, 07:54
Great review. I love how you use examples to show the book's imaginative setting. This sounds like a great read.
Thank you for your kind comments.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 07 Aug 2019, 21:17

I love authors that hook you with a standalone and convince your to search out the first book of the series and wait anxiously for the next installment. Your description makes it seem like this author has hit all the bases to make this an intriguing series. Thanks for the recommendation!

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ellylion » 09 Aug 2019, 14:08

I always appreciate when a book of a series can be read as a stand alone :) The plot sounds to be intriguing, I would give this one a try. Thank you for a great review!

essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by essyallan7475 » 11 Aug 2019, 20:15

A great review. I dont like sci/fi books. But this book seems quite interesting and exciting . A book i look foward o reading

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”