Review by LeoSanderz3704 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LeoSanderz3704
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leosanderz3704.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by LeoSanderz3704 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by LeoSanderz3704 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A New Arrival Under Great Skies. is the first book in the ‘We are Voulhire’ series by author Matthew Tysz. A New Arrival Under Great Skies tells the story of Galen Bray. The refugee from the Lands of the Princes, who is also a practicing blacksmith, and his first days in the town of Magnum Caelum in the prospering kingdom of Voulhire.

What I liked most about the book was the diversity and contrast between the characters like Galen and his executor Rowan. Another point that I liked was how the chapters were divided among the different characters like Midius Maido, King Wilhem and Lords Meldorath and Eldus. I also liked Matthew’s way of expressing emotions only through words. I also liked how oppression, starvation and persecution affected Galen in many ways, but Tysz doesn’t show whether being humble is of Galen’s nature or whether it was forced upon him.

I highly recommend this book to all ages and to lovers of suspense and magic. I would recommend the other books of this series to the readers of this book as well. So, if you’re looking for an adventure full of magic, mages and knights, this is your book. It also has its religious side, but it is not that dominant. And that is why it is not dedicated to one division or one sort of people. It is suitable for all ages and religions.

What I disliked about the book though was the commonness of cursing, bad words and cussing among most of the characters. Also, the lack of detail of Galen’s past life and how life exactly was in the Lands of the Princes was a negative point in my opinion. The characters didn’t sympathize with Galen as they had not experienced his past. And that is why I expect most readers to not sympathize with Galen. Another bad point that I found was the hiding of Lord Meldorath’s existence by King Wilhelm Arcolo, which shows that he cares about his people but doesn’t know what is actually good for them.

In conclusion, I would like to state that there were very rare grammatical and typographical mistakes. I rate this book 4 out of 4. I found it a very exciting story and I think it would appeal to most of those who read it. I also think that it would appeal to children as it has morals shown through the characters.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”