Review by Michelle Fred -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle Fred
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Review by Michelle Fred -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by Michelle Fred »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After 28 years of a hopeless existence plagued by soul-crushing poverty, loneliness, chaos and war in the Land of the Princes, Galen’s life is transformed when he discovered he has an uncle who is a blacksmith in Voulhire. As atonement for his misdeeds to his family, he named Galen the sole heir to his estate. Rowan is contracted as his estate executor and he is tasked with the arduous job of getting Galen out of the war-ridden Land of the Princes. Sadly, his uncle passed before his arrival, leaving behind a letter and a blacksmithing manual he wrote himself for Galen. Rowan takes it upon himself to help Galen adjust to life in Voulhire and get his late uncle’s forge running again. Together they chance upon a mysterious stone that might be Voulhire’s only redemption.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies, is the first book in We are Voulhire series written by Mathew Tysz. The book is set in an alternate world, a world where magic and greed reigns supreme and good and evil drink from the same cup.

The book has several characters and the author did an amazing job with their development. I particularly loved Rowan’s wit and sense of humour; I like how patient he is with Galen. Although I can’t stop thinking Demetrius might disappear with the stone the minute he realizes its power. But I wish the author spent more time on developing Galen’s character; he seemed to be the chief protagonist and most of the story is told from his perspective. However, I found him too naïve for someone who spent more than two decades looking over his shoulders every day of his life.

The book is so dark and intense, at some point; I had to take a break to catch my breath. Mathew’s writing wizardry is demonstrated by his ability to draw the reader deeper into the story with every word. I had this ominous feeling I couldn’t shake-off with every page I turned. I was held spellbound to the very end.

I love every part of the book. Every word felt like a drop of water on a parched throat; I couldn’t get enough and dreaded the end of it. I unreservedly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book is exceptionally well-edited - I spotted no errors of any kind. Nevertheless, some non-English words were used; I suppose this is permissible as the book is set in an alternate world with a language and culture of its own.

I wouldn’t recommend this book to a sensitive or young audience as it contains mature language, very lurid violence and murder scenes. It is not for the faint at heart. But if you are fishing for an enthralling read and you don’t mind gore, We are Voulhire is the book for you. It contains no sexual or erotic scenes whatsoever.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I loved your quote referencing magic/greed and good/evil. Thank you for a most enlightening and captivating review!
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I loved you saying that 'every word felt like a drop of water on a parched throat'! What a great testament to the author! Sounds like an enjoyable read for that reason alone.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell

Post by Prisallen »

This book certainly is intriguing as I love intense books! Thank you for a well-written and interesting review!
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Atropos by John Japuntich
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I love the way you described the book and set the scene. It makes this sound very enticing to read. Great review!
Michelle Fred
Currently Reading:

Post by Michelle Fred »

Bluebird03 wrote: ↑24 Jul 2019, 07:35 I loved your quote referencing magic/greed and good/evil. Thank you for a most enlightening and captivating review!
Thanks for your comment.
Michelle Fred
Currently Reading:

Post by Michelle Fred »

allbooked+ wrote: ↑24 Jul 2019, 08:39 I loved you saying that 'every word felt like a drop of water on a parched throat'! What a great testament to the author! Sounds like an enjoyable read for that reason alone.
It really is. Thanks for your comment.
Michelle Fred
Currently Reading:

Post by Michelle Fred »

Prisallen wrote: ↑24 Jul 2019, 14:22 This book certainly is intriguing as I love intense books! Thank you for a well-written and interesting review!
Thanks for stopping by.
Michelle Fred
Currently Reading:

Post by Michelle Fred »

unamilagra wrote: ↑24 Jul 2019, 16:25 I love the way you described the book and set the scene. It makes this sound very enticing to read. Great review!
Thanks for your comment.
Nonny2208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Going back twenty five years with a Paranormal Twist. by Julian Black.

Post by Nonny2208 »

I loved the way you expressed your love for the book. I also loved the book, the magic employed in the book was awesome. I absolutely loved your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”