Official Review: Chromatophobia by W. D. County

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Learning to trust yourself by Lisa Flannigan

Official Review: Chromatophobia by W. D. County

Post by kandscreeley » 18 Jul 2019, 09:43

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chromatophobia" by W. D. County.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine your life if you could see no colors; your world was simply shades of gray. You could go on dates, but you couldn't compliment your significant other on the beauty of their blue eyes. You would not be able to see the yellows, oranges, and reds in a beautiful sunrise or sunset. If you were a doctor, would you be able to tell whether or not your patient was bleeding as you couldn't see the red of the blood?

Sergeant Miles Reardon has dealt with this his entire life. It has, perhaps, made him a bit jaded. Colonel Hauser, his superior officer, has the perfect assignment for him, though. There is a colorful, otherworldly "rash" spreading over a human host. This "rash" seems to suck the color from the world around it. Is it infectious? What is it, and where did it originate? Can you succumb just by staring at its mesmerizing nature? This is what the team seeks to find out; in any case, Miles should be immune to its properties since he is colorblind. Will his immunity be a detriment or a blessing? Will the team figure out what this is and how to stop it from spreading?

Chromatophobia is a science fiction story by W.D. County. With around 330 pages, this medium length story has the right blend of science and fiction, which makes for an exciting, fast-paced read. Due to profanity and sexual situations, I would only recommend this to adults.

The cast of characters trying to figure out this color puzzle consists of a magician/paranormal investigator, a code breaker, a physicist, and a psychiatrist (along with Sergeant Reardon providing security). They don't always get along and are often at odds with each other; this creates an interesting dynamic that's worth reading all by itself. Some of the characters are likable; some are not quite so easy to appreciate. The fact that some of the characters were maddening - and I wanted to yell at them - tells me Mr. County did a great job creating a realistic cast. They, also, aren't quite what you'd expect, and I enjoyed how the author avoided the stereotypes of these popular (at least within the genre) occupations. Reardon is every bit the soldier that you'd expect. Yet, his colorblindness provides depth to his character that you don't often see with military types.

The plot moved at a good clip; I was engaged throughout the story. We are left to figure out the riddle of this "rash" along with this team of professionals. While I found this infuriating at times (why won't the author just tell me what it is), it certainly added to the suspense of the story and kept me turning the pages.

I found very little to complain about with this book. The author was able to add enough science to validate the theories of the characters without overwhelming the reader. There are supernatural elements at work that would appeal to many. The proofreading was done well, as I found only a few errors. The characters were realistic and (at least some of them) relatable. I am happy to award Chromatophobia 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to lovers of science fiction who appreciate the inclusion of supernatural elements and aren't put off by some profanity and adult situations. Just keep in mind that once you start reading, you may not want to stop. This is one of those books you want to read faster and faster to figure out what's going on and where it's all leading. Luckily, the journey is as captivating as the final result.

Chromatophobia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Gathoni1991
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Gathoni1991 » 22 Jul 2019, 01:23

First of all I must commend the art displayed on the book cover. And your review is beautifully written, you made me want to read it immediately. Very interesting plot. How is he a doctor yet colorblind?

LeeleeByoma
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma » 22 Jul 2019, 01:46

The title and book cover certainly got me interested. Great review! I like stories with an array of well-developed characters.

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Michelle Fred » 22 Jul 2019, 04:06

I have heard and read about colorblindness, but I don't know anyone with the condition. I believe this book will be a good opportunity to meet one. Thanks for a great review.

Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bhaskins » 22 Jul 2019, 07:37

I agree with previous posters. The art work is incredible. I don’t generally like sic-fi, but your review has left me very curious. As I was reading I was thinking about how hard it must be to see no color.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The 36 Watchers, by Dan Bar Hava

Post by Prisallen » 22 Jul 2019, 08:36

This is certainly an unusual problem that they are trying to figure out, and it shows the author is very imaginative. The book sounds very intriguing. I would love to read it. Wonderful review, as always!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 22 Jul 2019, 08:43

Gathoni1991 wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 01:23
First of all I must commend the art displayed on the book cover. And your review is beautifully written, you made me want to read it immediately. Very interesting plot. How is he a doctor yet colorblind?
Yes, that's a pretty good picture of what the "rash" must be like. He isn't a doctor; he's a soldier. I was merely stating the limitations of colorblindness - things you wouldn't even think about... Thanks for your comment.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 22 Jul 2019, 08:44

LeeleeByoma wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 01:46
The title and book cover certainly got me interested. Great review! I like stories with an array of well-developed characters.
It was definitely unique; I don't think I've read anything quite like it. Thanks for your comment.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 22 Jul 2019, 08:45

Michelle Fred wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 04:06
I have heard and read about colorblindness, but I don't know anyone with the condition. I believe this book will be a good opportunity to meet one. Thanks for a great review.
My grandfather was colorblind with the color red. I've never really heard of someone who was completely colorblind, though. It's an interesting concept. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 22 Jul 2019, 08:47

Bhaskins wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 07:37
I agree with previous posters. The art work is incredible. I don’t generally like sic-fi, but your review has left me very curious. As I was reading I was thinking about how hard it must be to see no color.
This is pretty heavy on the science fiction element. That's not to say you wouldn't enjoy it, but it does have some supernaturalness to it. Thanks for your comment.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 22 Jul 2019, 08:50

Prisallen wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 08:36
This is certainly an unusual problem that they are trying to figure out, and it shows the author is very imaginative. The book sounds very intriguing. I would love to read it. Wonderful review, as always!
Yes, it's definitely imaginative. I haven't quite read anything (or seen anything for that matter) like it, and I enjoy sci fi. Thanks for your comment!
-Louisa May Alcott

Brandt
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 88

Post by Brandt » 22 Jul 2019, 10:45

This sounds like such an interesting read! I love good fantasy/ sci-fi books that create a science around the happenings in their world. For me, it makes it so much more realistic and I can focus more on the plot vs. why things don't seem to make sense. The storyline sounds so unique; I've never heard of something like this before. I am always fascinated in the use of color and the symbolism that can come from that. I will have to check this book out! Thanks for your review!
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
~Oscar Wilde

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 22 Jul 2019, 11:38

Brandt wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 10:45
This sounds like such an interesting read! I love good fantasy/ sci-fi books that create a science around the happenings in their world. For me, it makes it so much more realistic and I can focus more on the plot vs. why things don't seem to make sense. The storyline sounds so unique; I've never heard of something like this before. I am always fascinated in the use of color and the symbolism that can come from that. I will have to check this book out! Thanks for your review!
It sounds like this book might be right up your alley. It's unique and was quite an interesting read. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading: Seven at Two Past Five
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by esp1975 » 22 Jul 2019, 15:49

Most people who are traditionally color blind lack the ability to differentiate between red and green (no idea why), and actually tend to become snipers and spotters in the military, as camouflage works less well on them. It sounds like this main character is more than just traditionally color blind, but actually unable to see any color. That would definitely be an interesting challenge in day to day life, but does seem to make him ideally suited for the mission in this book.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition) by Heidi M. Simone

Post by Helene_2008 » 22 Jul 2019, 20:27

I love the cast of characters! Sounds like an unlikely group. Reading your review reminds to not take my sight for granted. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”