Review by Abhijoe -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abhijoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhijoe.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Abhijoe -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by Abhijoe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz follows the tale, or rather an amalgamation of tales of the citizens of Voulhire and especially focused on one Galen Bray. It portrays the interconnected world of the people inhabiting this land and how their stories connect and revolve around the dark uncertainty that lays in wait to wreak its havoc on the people of this proud kingdom. We start with the arrival of our protagonist who has just learned about the death of his uncle and is inheriting his business, in hopes of making a humble living. What lies in wait are the other characters and their stories panning out to give us first glimpses of a pensive King amidst a gala, a rose-tinted visionary Lord, the poisoned inner circle of the king because of a cunning man, and the tumultuous uncertainty that lies on the other side of Hillport, which has its own ominous secrets hidden inside its huge castle walls.

Although the book may have the tendency to seem like it has a lot of things going on after reading the brief summary, you'd be surprised halfway through the book how easy it is to keep track of all these branching storylines and witnessing a fruitful marriage, while also appreciating the effort made to seamlessly transition into the period of lulls and crescendos.

The characters too are well fleshed out and some of their wittiness and banter gave me a good chuckle, especially Rowan. I am already intrigued to know whether or not my suspicions regarding this character are true or not and you can bet I am hopping on the second part as soon as I am done reviewing this. The magic that is portrayed within this book was by far the most interesting aspect and I am very much eager about finding out the dark and twisted world of biomages and the likes, which is as deadly as it may seem hilarious.

The only thing I would have liked the author to shed more light on was the era in which this story was set. Apart from that, I did find the Riva Rohavi storyline a bit tedious apart from the great revelation, but maybe that's just my impatience rearing its ugly head to find out what happens next.

Nevertheless, this book is definitely a treat for fans of fictional fantasies and world building with a dash of magic and science fiction all joining together to give us a glimpse of this beautiful first installment of a nascent universe of books. I found it to be thoroughly professional in its editing and found the least amount of typos within it. I will rate this book a solid 4/4 stars.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”