Review by Shraddha Chauhan -- We are Voulhire: A New Arr...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shraddha Chauhan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddha-chauhan.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Shraddha Chauhan -- We are Voulhire: A New Arr...

Post by Shraddha Chauhan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is so much to say about this book, but I’m not going to spoil the story for anyone. This book is set in a world where mages and other worlds exist. Galen Bray is living in one of the Lands of the Prince. He gets a chance to leave the Lands and uses his opportunity to escape. After a week and a half long journey, he reaches the kingdom of Voulhire. He travels further to Magnum Caelum where his great uncle has left all of his life’s work in Galen’s name.

King Wilhelm of Voulhire has arranged a get-together party where he mingles with people around him. He loves them, but he needs his composure when he has to deal with the head of the Mianoran Council, Midius Maido. They don’t have the tolerance towards each other, but they respect the decision that was made by their ancestors to work together and thus, stick together.

Hillport has been through dark times under the former Lords before King Wilhelm posted Lord Eldus as the new Lord of the place. Lord Orlin and Lord Meldorath, the former Lords, have caused havoc in the region, which the new Lord is trying to neutralize. He decides to give something important to Hillport and gain people’s trust.

But when fate has something else in the store for all these people, the destruction tries to blow everything apart that comes in its way. Will there be any survivors or will everything turn to dust?

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is another one of his masterpieces. I’m not being biased towards the author just because I’ve read his other works, although they were good too. This is the first installment in the series, and I can’t wait to read the sequel.

There were hardly any grammatical errors. The plot is written precisely, making the foundation of the series strong. The characters are worth reading, with their stories running parallel to each other. Galen Bray is the only character with the first-person perspective while other situations are written in a third-person perspective. The events occurring in the story are executed well and are set in different chapters so that the readers could understand the change in perspective. All the characters have a significant role in the book and play a great part in the making of the story.

I liked the normality of the characters. They felt realistic, and the story kept me hooked from the start. There weren’t any filler chapters or characters. The feelings of the characters were depicted beautifully which made me feel as if I was there, experiencing the events with the people. There wasn’t any mature content or any scene that made me cringe, but the story definitely put me on the edge of my seat.

There was nothing to dislike about the book. I didn’t find any loophole with the complication of the story. The author did a good job of editing, executing and plotting the story. He didn't leave anything unanswered, except for the ending which turned out to be a cliffhanger. It wouldn’t have been a cliffhanger if there wasn’t the second installment in the series.

Every characters’ inner battle and growth through the chapters can be easily noticed which was the best thing I admired about the book. Many writers just go with the cliché story where all of a sudden the main character gains the ability to do what he or she hasn’t ever done in their lives. That sudden change didn't happen in this book or with any of the characters. Some gradual changes in the main characters shape their lives for the future that will continue in the next book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its a great and complicated story. I recommend this book for readers of all ages and especially for fantasy novel readers. This is a treat to our imagination, and I’m definitely adding the second book to my library. My hopes for this series have gone high with the promise that this book makes with its content, and I hope I’m unlet down by Matthew Tysz.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

A treat to our imagination!I like that part of the review and therefore I must read this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”