Official Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
ZenaLei7
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 160
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Official Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Post by ZenaLei7 » 05 Jul 2019, 04:12

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Kings' Assassin" by Ed Cannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Kings’ Assassin, by Ed Cannon, is the first book of The Illician Chronicles series. Categorized as a fantasy book, the book centers around Sillik and his journey to find those responsible for his father’s (the King of Illicia) death.

When Sillik is telepathically summoned by his father to come home, he wonders what has happened and how much has changed in Illicia since he hasn’t seen his home town in a couple of years. On what was supposed to be a day of celebration in Illicia, Sillik notices the somber attitude of the Illician people as he makes his way through the city of Illicia. Once he reaches home, he is saddened to find out that his father and brothers were brutally assassinated. So much has changed in the city of Illicia, but he is determined to find those responsible for the killings of his father and brothers. After multiple attempts on Sillik’s life, Sillik knows he has to take action or risk losing his city.

I think the author did a wonderful job of introducing the characters and background info without giving too much at once. The scenes were vividly described, and I could easily visualize the scenes due to the author’s descriptions. I thought that the plot was intricate and had a few twists and turns. I also thought that the narrative was well written and easy to read. Since this is the first book of the series, the ending left a few questions unanswered, but it tied up nicely.

What I liked the most about this book was the characters. The author brought each character to life with their varied and unique personalities that showed through their interaction with one another. I thought Sillik’s character was very likable, and he was portrayed as someone who is powerful since he is a master of the seven laws of magic and a warrior. I also like how the women, like Briana and Renee, were portrayed as being just as strong and skillful, if not more, as the men.

While a lot of characters were introduced at first, I did not have a hard time keeping up with the names of the characters. I also thought it was helpful that the author included a map, a list of the seven laws, and a lineage of some of the past kings of Illicia. In all, there was nothing that I disliked about the book.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I throughly enjoyed reading this book because of the vivid scenes and the interesting characters. This book was also refreshingly clear of any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. I would recommend this book to readers who like fantastic books filled with action and adventure.

The Kings' Assassin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: The End-Time Foretellers by Ran Weber

Post by Nyambura Githui » 06 Jul 2019, 15:02

A revenge quest. My favourite type of story. Great job on the review.

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading: Breach
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 06 Jul 2019, 15:20

The plot structure for this sounds familiar, but in that good, comforting I know what I'm getting and I'm delighted way. Fantasy books like this tend to always bring something delightful to the table and I'm eager to find out more about Sillik and his plans for Illicia.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Monet_va » 07 Jul 2019, 06:31

Great Review! Definitely eager to give this one a read and adding it to my TBR pile :D

esp1975
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by esp1975 » 08 Jul 2019, 11:46

Adding this to my "want to read" list. It sounds like a great book. Well done characters are my favorite part of any story.

Helpme71
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 » 08 Jul 2019, 12:07

Thank you for your review! I like that this book does not follow the typical fantasy trope where the female characters tend to be "weaker" or "less skilled" than the male characters. I look forward to getting my hands on this book.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”