Official Review: Shadow-Forge Revelations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Official Review: Shadow-Forge Revelations

Post by mmm17 » 04 Jul 2019, 16:50

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadow-Forge Revelations" by Stephen J. Bauer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shadow-Forge Revelations, written by Stephen J. Bauer, is the second book in a series called Andrew’s Adventures. Classified as a science-fiction/fantasy novel, it narrates the other-worldly, heroic adventures of a teenager named Andrew, with the fate of humanity hanging in the balance. In a note at the very beginning, Bauer expresses his hopes for the novel – to explore the purpose of existence from both a scientific and metaphysic perspective and to inspire us to pursue our dreams. Delightful intentions, aren't they?

The protagonist is a member of an elite group known as the Shadow-Forge, whose members have extraordinary abilities and can travel through space and time. In this capacity, Andrew spent a full lifetime being “a nimble ninja” on another planet – Glorthocks. Back on Earth, however, he is just a nervous, bullied, and “poorly socialized teenager” with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Andrew and his family are recruited to participate in a secret research program which involves a trip to the moon to study dark holes. A friend of Andrew’s – also a member of Shadow-Forge – tags along.

The story begins narrated in the third person, with an explanation of previous events and theories. Then Andrew, Stephen, and Sandi start taking turns as narrators. Although these shifts in perspective do give readers a better understanding of their thoughts and feelings, the transitions are too many, often abrupt, and end up detracting from the reading experience. The same event sometimes gets told by more than one character, which I found unnecessary and rather dull. Fewer and smoother transitions, as well as less repetition, would improve the plot’s cohesion and flow, in my opinion.

The science-fiction passages take up a good part of the book, and I thought they were a bit repetitive and tedious. I felt that the real strength of the story is the light-hearted, warm, and generous human spirit that underlies it. I enjoyed the references to philosophy and mythology. The protagonist and his parents – Stephen and Sandi – are very likable characters to whom I could easily relate. While the novel lacks an elaborate narrative, it does provide action and entertainment.

Lastly, I found many editing errors in the book. Due to these overwhelming mistakes and also to the overly fragmented narrative, I am taking two stars away from the rating. Therefore, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. I believe it will appeal to readers who enjoy young adult adventures with a touch of fantasy and science-fiction, provided that they don't mind the editing flaws.

Shadow-Forge Revelations
View: on Bookshelves

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: The End-Time Foretellers by Ran Weber

Post by Nyambura Githui » 06 Jul 2019, 15:58

I don't like it when the same event is narrated more than once. This makes the book dull and uninteresting. I'll pass this one. Thanks for the honest review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 06 Jul 2019, 16:36

I liked the idea of space and time travel and the study of dark holes. But I agree that the repetition of events would begin to dull the reading interest. Thanks for your review of this book.

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading: Breach
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 06 Jul 2019, 19:39

This has a lot of potential, but I'm not one for the whole different characters relating the same event thing unless it's something like the Kurosawa Effect.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by mmm17 » 07 Jul 2019, 08:21

Nyambura Githui wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 15:58
I don't like it when the same event is narrated more than once. This makes the book dull and uninteresting. I'll pass this one. Thanks for the honest review.
Thank you for stopping by and reading the review! :)

Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Detective Ann Morgan and The Boxer College Murder: second edition by john tomikel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari » 07 Jul 2019, 14:57

I'll be honest. The plot does not sound like something I would enjoy. However, I really like your review and the way you've dealt with the crucial aspects of the book. Thanks for the succinct review. I enjoyed reading it.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant

esp1975
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by esp1975 » 08 Jul 2019, 11:44

Abrupt POV shifts are one of my biggest pet peeves in any writing. I am sad that that, along with editing issues, made a book that sounds like it has great characters a chore to read.

Charlie19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Charlie19 » 09 Jul 2019, 00:06

The content doesn't seem to be the one for me, but i loiked the review..thanks

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”