Review by Readerjorge -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Readerjorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerjorge.html
Latest Review: The Secrets of Gabriel in the council of the Gods by Zents K Sowunmi

Review by Readerjorge -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Readerjorge »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first novel of the series that treats about a fictional world where there is an extended kingdom in a nation called Voulhire, which has a king named Wilhem. While, in other lands nearby, there is a nation rules by a wicked king who separated his four sons to avoid them from conspiring against him. Those princes start a war with one another which lasts for more than twenty years. As aftermath of the war many people escaped from those lands, one of them was Galen Bray, this young man travels to Voulhire where he inherits his uncle's fortune. He arrived in Magnum Caelum at a small town in which his uncle lived and traded. His uncle was a great blacksmith and Galen hoped to learn his business and continue it. The author gives to Galen Bray a main role and dedicates him a large part of the narrative.

At first, one would think this story is about the adventures of Galen in Voulhire but then another story brings up about Lord Eldus, who was the new Lord promoted by the king to the city of Hillport, to try to heal it from evilness of its previous two lords: Orlin and Meldorath.

The story develops with the expectation of the power of the mages, it was as if one was expecting for a show of magic that would face the King Wilhem against Meldorath or any other magician. The author creates a legend about Meldorath who has abused his magic and done horrible things. People were still afraid of him, although he was claimed to be dead. I always found myself wondering if Meldorath was really dead or in jail because I could not believe that this very powerful mage, maybe more than anyone else in that world, could have been imprisoned or even killed.

Another big threat to the king and Voulhire security was Riva Rohavi, a kind of rebel group located in a wasteland north of Voulhire, called Graylands. The population has opposed the kingdom of Voulhire since its foundation and when they achieved to have a new leadership, funds and resources, they built an army.

One thing that I liked about the book was that there was enough characters development, the way the author did the chapters of this book tells stories according to the point of view of one character at a time, what made me be expecting that those stories would cross in anytime, and the way they continued made me curious about what will happen in the second part of the series. I also liked the form the author described landscapes and some actions such as magic acts.

I only disliked that, for me, it was inexplicable how the king could sustain the throne in a magical world full of powerful mages, considering that some of them were big enemies of the king, specially Meldorath. Well,to know it you have to read the book.

The book was well-edited, and I did not see any typos. In my opinion it is worth reading, as it takes the reader to an amazing imaginary world and one can track the story with fluently.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the novel is full of adventures and twists and kept me interested until the end. The flow of the story were entertaining and easily to follow. Denouements at the end are good but scattered enough to make you want to read for the second part. I recommend this book for those who love science fiction and fantasy.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

I agree with the review that the book is well edited that require a 4 out of 4 stars raring.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”