Review by Archie5 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Archie5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archie5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Archie5 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by Archie5 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a brilliant, captivating, and enticing fictitious sci-fi book. Written by Matthew Tysz, the story takes us to a place called Voulhire, as seen through the eyes of characters Galen Bray and Lord Eldus, among many others. Shaken by the deeds of the evil mage Meldorath, a city in Voulhire, named Hillport, Lord Eldus is brought there to try and set the peoples minds at ease. However, this task is not completed with ease. Meanwhile, Galen has come to Magnum Caelum, another city in Voulhire. Escaping a terrible land, Galen is exceedingly excited to explore the land that is foreign to him.

Tysz keeps the reader hooked by alternating the narrator of the story, without any confusion, of course. It was very interesting to explore all parts of Voulhire from Galen Bray's point of view, as his eyes were virgin to what the land had to offer, not to mention he was also unaware to any unfavorable aspects of Magnum Caelum. On the other hand, it was also exciting to see Hillport in Lord Eldus eyes, which were extremely experienced to the land of Voulhire and all its corrupt bits.

I was originally attracted to this story because Tysz described the book as "Game of Thrones but without the sex." I knew immediately how amazing it had to be considering all the buzz that surrounds the popular show. To confirm my prediction, I was not disappointed. All of the magic involved was a spectacular bonus, as well as learning about the history of Voulhire. Tysz made it so engrossing to figure out who was in the wrong as I learned the past of this intricate expanse of solid ground.

Only one attribute made this book not utterly perfect and that is a character list, considering there are quite a few important players to this story. Albeit, not completely important to the plot, it would add a sense of clarity, to know all the characters and their jobs and places of residence. This record of personalities would fit perfectly at the beginning of the book.

Overall, I would give this book a 4 out of 4. Although I would have enjoyed a character list, the absence of this item did not take away from the wonderfulness of this book. The book also had no more than three grammar mistakes. The plot was developed well and the characters were lovingly given depth.

I would not recommend this book to anyone who is bothered by foul language, wicked doings, and murder. However, I fully recommend this book to someone who is a lover of fantasy and cliffhangers. Younger readers should not pick up this book because of cursing, violence, and talk of things such as rape.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Matthew Tysz is a dark sci-fi, fantasy writer that I truly enjoy. Sounds like he has grown as a writer since I read his first series The Turn. Can't wait to try this series. Thank you for the review.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”