Review by PENcilMANIA -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PENcilMANIA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pencilmania.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by PENcilMANIA -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's...

Post by PENcilMANIA »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The clash of swords, clang of armor and the cry of horror reverberated through my ears as I shut my eyes having savored the essence out of the final chapter of the book We are Voulhire: Someone else’s end. This is the third book in the series and the story unfolds, stepping stones and leaping boundaries to a new perspective far from what I had imagined would happen from the preceding books.

The story is set in the medieval times with horses, kings and castles spruced up with magic and daemons sandwiched between two worlds, Cosmos (the physical world) and Caromentis (the world of magic). King Wilhelm, seated at the capital of Voulhire is all set to hear a case pertaining to the incoming refugees from the land of princesses who are suffering from the constant wars and disease. A long banished Lord Meldorath has resurfaced and with the in alliance with Voulhire’s enemy, The Riva Rohavi, plans to overthrow the king and gain access to Caromentis, The secrets of which are in books of king’s personal stash at the capital Soulhire. While the Riva Rohavi destructs the cities in Voulhire, one after another along the coast, a terrible fate awaits the capital.

Galen, a humble blacksmith and a refugee from the land of princes, sets out to Soulhire to seek help from the king regarding the recent advances of destruction from daemons in the industrial city of Vikro with his uncle’s executor rowan and the monk Demetrius. The trio encounters the daemons as well as the Riva in their adventurous journey to Soulhire. Galen’s hidden talent and Rowan’s past formed the unexpected nectar of the story.

I have no doubt that the author Mathew Tysz is himself a mage. To come up with an awestruck storyline and to use of classy words in masking the explicitness had me spellbound. I found the daemons hilarious. The daemon’s obsession with Rowan clearly deserves a pat. The book has ample imagination but lacks description. I would have loved if the supernatural events and the battles were a bit more descriptive and magical. The author has changed narrators at various parts of the book without a heading which was quite confusing. I give credit for introducing the characters of the previous books in the story but the author seems to have blotted out on Lord Kayden, in the second half of the story who appears without proper introduction.

I give the book 4 out of 4 stars because firstly, the book had my undivided attention for two whole days with my adrenaline pumping high, secondly, I am a fan of dark fantasy and book fueled my needs, thirdly, there wasn’t a single error, fourthly, my curiosity has piqued up and I’m all geared up to read the next book in the series. For all the adults out there who love magic and mystery, you have reached your destination.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Make it Make Sense by Michael Walker

Post by Marcel Cantu »

You create quite a picture with the opening of your review! I might have to read this series! Thank you for your vivid opinion.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”