Review by oluchiokere84 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
oluchiokere84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchiokere84.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Review by oluchiokere84 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by oluchiokere84 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, the premier novel in the We are Voulhire series by Matthew Tysz is an interesting story of royalty, enmity, magic and wealth. It is based on the battle for supremacy between Wilhelm Arcolo the king of Voulhire, which is made up of various regions such as Hilport, Soulhire and Magnum Caelum and his arch- enemy Meldorath, who was the Lord of the Hilport province before his mysterious disappearance. Meldorath wielded great and mysterious power which aroused fear in the minds of the people of Voulhire at the mere mention of his name . Another interesting aspect of the story was the discovery and expenditure of the large inheritance left to a young man called Galen Bray by his estranged uncle before his death.

There were many characters in the story who played important roles and different but similar settings. Hence I liked the titles given to each chapter by the author which give clarity and helped me to avoid the mix up of different cities in the book.

I didn’t dislike anything about the book but I think that the inclusion of more women as major characters would make the story more captivating. Also, the use of the word milord in place of My Lord to address royalty didn’t go down well with me at first, but I accepted it as a word coined word by the author for that purpose.

I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars because it appears to be professionally edited and I could only spot two errors in it. The writer was able to express his thoughts well. The plot may be described as various pieces of a puzzle which will fit into one big picture in the subsequent novels.

I would recommend the book to people who enjoy books like the Harry Porter series. The author gave me more action to look out for in the next book with the execution of the plot by Meldorath to kill his successor Eldus and the escape of a heavily guarded prisoner with the aid of magic. However, the series would not be liked by people who abhor magic and sorcery. It is also worthy of note that the book does not contain any romance which is a good thing to me because it always seemed like a good novel could not be written without some element of romance in it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”