Review by alexandralarion -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
alexandralarion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandralarion.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by alexandralarion -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

Post by alexandralarion »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen Bray leaves his war-ravaged country and flees to Voulhire with the help of Rowan, the executor of his uncle’s will. Now, Galen is longing to start a new life using the inheritance his uncle left him and the riches the Kingdom of Voulhire can offer him. At the same time, the kingdom is moving forward towards a bright future, the king doing everything he can to steer his country towards a better tomorrow. The king, Wilhelm Arcolo, assigns Lord Eldus Alderman to lead Hillport and to rehabilitate it from the destabilized state in which its two former leaders left it. Lord Eldus has to regain the faith of people while facing the incoming attack of Riva Rohavi, a group of rebels that has been inactive for a time but has suddenly reemerged.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is the first book of the We are Voulhire Series, written by Matthew Tysz. It is a fantasy story filled with adventure and magic, having as characters lords and warriors. It is a tale of good against evil, where the evil is not explicitly visible, but can be felt and seen in nightmares. The book starts off as if by telling a fable passed-on through generations that explains the origin of Galen’s country and the reasons he chose to leave it.

What I enjoyed the most about this book is how the author chose a medieval-like theme, with specific elements such as kings, knights, mages and horse-drawn carriages, while, at the same time, embracing a more contemporary language, which makes the book something unique and really easy to read. The book is short and divided by the perspective of different characters and, as a result, their development seems slow and limited. For example, Galen’s adventures throughout the book, except his moving to Voulhire, consist of his quest to find a new metal to help him get started in his late uncle’s business.

As a whole, the book felt like an introduction, like an attempt of the author to acquaint the readers with the universe that is being built and to prepare them for the next book. I really liked how the author built the suspense throughout the book, which culminated with the battle towards the end of the story. It also consists a great pretext for the next books, which pulled me into the story even more and made me looking forward to read the other books of the series in the future.

I will give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was extremely well-written and really well-edited, which made me enjoy it even more. The plot is intriguing, the story is thrilling and the characters have such distinctive personality traits that make the reader want to understand them better and to see more of them. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good fantasy or mystery novel. If you are sensitive to some explicit themes or violence, maybe this book is not suitable for you.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”