Review by MamaJohnson2019 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MamaJohnson2019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamajohnson2019.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by MamaJohnson2019 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

Post by MamaJohnson2019 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz, we go from a lovely arrival in a new world to the beginnings of a fight for the survival of the world. We are introduced to amazing characters from a boy who is learning his great uncle’s trade to a king who only wants peace. The reader is introduced to the political turmoil that runs rampant throughout the kingdom of Voulhire, he struggles of a lord who only wants what is best for the town he is over, and a fear that will rise and grip the land.

I enjoyed most of the character development in the story. The way the emotions of people are portrayed within the development of the story shows an understanding of them. The use of imagery to describe the towns and cities was used very well. It painted the picture for the reader’s imagination. The amount of characters to help with the story and how they are from different walks of life I thoroughly enjoyed.

One of the things I disliked in the book was the use of profane language. It seemed broken and out of context for some of the characters given their development to go along with the story. While not opposed to the use of profane language in a book, the use of harsher words seemed out of context. Some of the other words used may have others going to a dictionary to look up the meaning of such a word such as metrosexual which his used in the book only once.

This book, with it being the first in a series, seems geared more towards teenager/young adults in the reading. It has just enough adult themes to entice the reader into he story but also the teenage theme of willpower. Anyone who reads it would enjoy it but considering the age of most of the characters, this age group seems appropriate.

Overall, I would rate this book a 3 out of 4. While I enjoyed the imagery and the story, the use of profane language did not belong in the story. It was not conclusive to the characters’ arc within the book. I would love to finish reading the series because the story pulls me in that much. It is a lovely book to sit and read on an afternoon and it pulls the reader into the world.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”