Review by andrexia15 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
andrexia15
Currently Reading: Fearless Thinking, Stress-free living, Guaranteed (Almost)
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrexia15.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Review by andrexia15 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by andrexia15 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a premier novel of his trilogy series. It has a magical world full of mysterious characters, plot, and storyline. As described by the author to be like Game of Thrones except with more magic, it indeed meets my expectations. Knowing that it's the first on its sequel there’s a lot into the story yet to be told.

The tale begins by introducing the main character Galen Bray who arrived in The Kingdom of Voulhire. He came from the Lands of the Princes which is a war-torn island. He inherits his great uncle’s forge business in a small town of Magnum Caelum. His characteristics and humble beginnings made him different from the people of Voulhire which made him unique among the rest of the introduced characters in this first book. Galen arrives at Voulhire at a time the place entered a golden age. It is ruled by King Wilhelm with prosperity. Defying the physical world which coexists with the magical world thru mages, a conflict is arising which will hunt down past mistakes buried in the past. While a rising magical force has awakened from the dead, another story is yet to unfold in Voulhire with Galen in it as its new character.

I like this book because it is full of magic and mystery combined. It was like I’m reading Game of Thrones and Harry Potter novel together but with new and unique characteristics of these characters. I like how the author explores to introduce its characters with a lot of emotions, humility, sophistication, and awe. It made the story more appealing to the readers. Main characters are being built up well in this first trilogy of the book that made me want to know more about them in the next sequel. I also like its little attempt to touch the concept of religion, and its unique attempt of describing the face of God which for me is very wise.

However, I don’t like the confusion it gave me recalling a lot of characters in the book with names almost sounds alike. Others are hard to pronounce names that forced me to write down these character's names in a paper, for me not to interchange them with the other while reading.

But overall I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of its interesting plot that made me want to read the book more. It’s full of magic and mysterious behind stories makes me wonder how the story progresses along the way. For me, mystery and magic combined with adventure and action are exciting, even though there are bloody killings along the way in the book. The author did a good job instilling interest to continue reading the story of Voulhire and Galen.

I think this book is appealing and recommended to readers who want mystery, magic, fantasy, action, and adventure kind of books. I do not recommend this book to readers below 18 years old who don't find fantasy and magical world amusing and who don't like action, adventure, and mystery.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”