Review by dany_rodriguez -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dany_rodriguez
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dany-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by dany_rodriguez -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by dany_rodriguez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire A New Arrival Under Great Skies.

By Matthew Tysz

4 out of 4 stars

The kingdom of Voulhire, a safe haven from the horror of the war between the Princes. Or so it seems. A king with limited power whom faces a powerful enemy. A Lord with a mission. Treachery, rivalry, magic, terrorism, lurking in the shadows. The citizens know this, however Galen who has been in the Land of the Princes all of his life, sees Voulhire as paradise. So when the opportunity to leave the Land of the Princes is presented, Galen takes it without a second guess.

Why I gave the book four out of four stars?

The kingdom of Voulhire presents itself naturally. It has great worldbuilding. In fact I would classify We are Voulhire a New Arrival Under Great Skies, as an adult high fantasy series.
The main characters in the story are well developed. Everyone has their own motivation, personality traits and defects. I liked them, especially the villains. They are portrayed realistically and you can see the impact of their actions in their surroundings. Their power is also evident.

Another thing that I would like to point out, is how well written the dialogue is. The conversations between the characters don’t feel forced. And every dialogue affirms aspects of their personality (for example, the kindness of Galen or the cynicism of Rowan).

The magic component in this series, is explained thoroughly through the book. However it manages to maintain an aura of mystery regarding it.

The plot itself is presented in different points of view, making the experience very enjoyable. Not only that but you can see how the actions of the characters affect others, even if the characters don’t realize it.

Another thing that I personally loved about this book is that there is no romance. So the focus is always on the plot.

This is a great book that will both particularly interest Sci-fi and Medieval literature fans. Given that there are no explicit sex-scenes in this book, I will consider it appropriate for teenagers, also.

If I need to point out a negative aspect of this book, I will say that the Princes were not given a proper characterization. They are treated as one entity. However this is the first book in a series, so there’s even more room for character development in the future.
The ending got me hooked and I am excited to continue with the series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”