Review by luz0928 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by luz0928 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by luz0928 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz is the second book of the We are Voulhire series.

This book is set on a fictional world in which Voulhire is the country that is about to go through a Golden Age. In the first book we met most of the characters, because of this I think it is necessary to read the first book in the series first. In this second part, we focus on Virko, the most successful city in Voulhire in terms of economy, and they are planning on starting ruling their city by themselves instead of taking orders from the king. In the process, the son of the Lord of Virko, Hans Hrelek, is onto something...

The book has a darker story than the previous one, it has magic, demons, revolution and a church that is fighting against the loss of faith. I really liked that it touches deeper topics like these. The transition from a being part of a kingdom to capitalism is a huge step and I like the way that the author combines middle age traditions with the ones we see today.

One thing that did not like, was that at first everything was going very slow, and nothing was really happening. And when I was getting towards the end of the book, a lot of important and tragic events started happening really fast. But at the end, all those events were what I liked the most as well and made the story more interesting and appealing.

In terms of the edition, there were some errors, but with the context of the reading was impossible to get confused. In general these typos don't affect the experience.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because although I liked the overall story, I think that the pace should have been more balanced throughout the book. I don't rate it with less stars because it is an intriguing story that needs to be completed with the third book of the series. I recommend this book to people that like fantasy books and conspiracy. It has a few violent scenes, but I don't think that a teen could not read it because of that.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”