Review by Rawan Alamin -- The King of May by Matthew Tysz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rawan Alamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rawan-alamin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Rawan Alamin -- The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rawan Alamin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The King of May" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The king of May by Mathew Tysz is a Fictional book that talks about what happened to the earth after the apocalypse, or as he phrases it ‘The Turn.’ How the country looked after the turn and who lives there now, talking about gods and demigods and average civilians and how they all fit into this place. It’s a journey about the post-apocalyptic world and how that affected the gods and mortals.
It’s the completed second of a series of books, some say it’s significant to read the first book to follow through the second book, but I don’t think so, you can thoroughly comprehend it.

The book was well edited and professionally written, i didn't encounter any grammatical errors nor spelling mistakes.
The proper length of the chapters was a little bit annoying, some of the chapters were remarkably short, a page or two which didn’t help in naturally getting the reader into the story. When you start getting really there the point of view suddenly ends.

What I liked the most about the book was the relationship between Ashley and Scholar, it was natural and their scenes were well written making me feel like I am in a room with them. I also enjoyed some of the quotes in the book such as: ‘Knowledge doesn’t change outlooks any more than scientific discovery ever changed anybody’s religion.’ That was really pleasant.The conversation between Ashley, Scholar and Rudy was the strongest dialogue in the book.

What I liked the least about the book was the multiple points of views. Multiple points of views are confusing, especially at the beginning of the book because I couldn’t comprehend all of the characters and who they really were. At the middle and the end of the book, I got used to the multiple points of views but only then, it would have been better to start the story with only two multiple point of views, one of Ashley and Scholar for example and the King of May himself.The death of the King of May was really sudden, I couldn’t interpret how he exactly died when he always seemed so confident especially during the battle.

I rate the book 3 out of 4. I strongly recommend it to anyone who’s a fan of Fantasy books and Sci-fi.

The King of May
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”